Students who enroll in LION learn about global crime in the fall and then intern in Serbia or Armenia in the spring with a local NGO, think tank, international court, or research organization. Internship placements in include Victimology Society of Serbia and ASTRA Anti-Trafficking Action, Serbia. At the end of their internship, students convene in Armenia for an integrative seminar followed by a presentation of their research at an international undergraduate conference.
Recent placements include:
- Cameron P. Burke - Victimology Society of Serbia
- Katherine S. Wahrer - ASTRA Anti-Trafficking Action, Serbia
- Monica A. Alvarez De Eulate - Helsinki Committee for Human Right in Serbia
S.U.R.E. is an opportunity for students who have completed their first year at Stonehill to perform significant, publishable, full-time research under the guidance of and in collaboration with an experienced faculty researcher.
- Criminology major Tara Cantwell ’13 and Criminology/Psychology double major Bryana Killion ’13 worked with Ann Marie Rocheleau, assistant professor of Sociology and Criminology, on “The Relationship Between Prisoners’ Activities and Serious Prison Misconduct and Testing Self-Control Theory on Prison Misbehavior and Violence.”
- Criminology major Georgia Winters ’13 recently worked with Bonnie Klentz, professor of Psychology on “The CSI Effect: The Jury Is Still Out”, which attempted to quantify what impact TV dramas based on the justice system had on jurors.
Places where Stonehill students have recently interned include:
- Brockton Police Department
- Brockton District Court, Office of Probation
- Commonwealth Mediation & Conciliation Inc.
- Community Resources for Justice, Boston
- Congressional offices
- Justice Center of Southeast Massachusetts
- Juvenile diversion programs
- The Key program
- Local police departments
- Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office
- Massachusetts Department of Correction
- Massachusetts Department of Youth Services
- Massachusetts State Police Crime Lab
- Old Colony YMCA
- The Peace Abbey
- Plymouth County District Attorney’s Office, LA, DC, or NYC
- Pre-Trial Diversion Program, Brockton
- U.S. Department of Defense
- U.S. Marshals Service
- U.S. Postal Inspection Service
- U.S. Secret Service
Career Development Resources for Students
The Stonehill Career Development Center offers extensive assistance to students seeking employment, pursuing advanced studies or participating in postgraduate service opportunities. By completing internships and utilizing mentors, students are empowered to build lifelong career management skills.
Criminology-specific career resources
- Annual career fairs.
- Externships and internships in New York; Washington, D.C.; and Los Angeles (week-long and semester-long programs).
- Career Services staff members regularly work with Criminology faculty to present programs on careers in criminology, resume and cover letter writing, and interview techniques.
- Number of active alumni mentors: 30.
- City of New Bedford
- Fidelity Investments
Directory and e-Preservation
- Massachusetts State Police
- U.S. Department of Commerce