THE ARCHIVES IS OPEN BY ADVANCE NOTICE ONLY, AND CANNOT ACCOMMODATE WALK-INS
Preserving the Collection
The Stonehill College Archives and Historical Collections' staff is currently working on a long-term project to process the collection, which will ensure its preservation and researcher access.
This process involves:
- cleaning the collection,
- assessing negatives for damage and preservation concerns,
- placing negatives into archival enclosures and boxes,
- creating electronic finding aids for the collection using Mr. Bauman's handwritten and typed paper indexes.
During this process, the collection is open on a limited basis. The collection contains a limited number of negatives from the 1930s. To date, our staff processed and indexed over 25,000 envelopes containing over 100,000 negatives for the period of 1946 to 1958. Student interns are currently working on processing envelopes from 1959. If you would like to request a photograph or want more information about the collection please contact the Director of Archives and Historical Collections, Nicole Casper at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Researching the Bauman Collection page.
There are four ways to find images.
- Online Finding Aid - After we process one calendar year of negatives we update our online finding aid. Since it is an accurate representation of what the collection contains, we refer all patrons to our online finding aid. This is organized by item number in ascending order and contains original information for the images, as well the number of negatives with each item number. The finding aid is also keyword searchable. Press Ctrl + F or for Mac users press the command key + F to access the search box. Please note that the finding aid does not contain images.
- Research Appointment - For images from 1959 to 2002 you must schedule a research appointment to search Mr. Bauman's original indexes. Please see our Researching the Bauman Collection webpage for more information on scheduling appointments.
- Facebook - We regularly post images to our Facebook page and this is where you can find some of the most iconic images from Brockton and the surrounding area. If you would like to order a print of an image on Facebook, please email archives staff the title and original date of the image, as well as when the image was posted to Facebook. All of this information accompanies the image on our Facebook timeline.
- Reference Request - Lastly, you may submit a reference request that archives staff conduct a limited search for negatives. Again, please visit our Researching the Bauman Collection webpage for more information on reference requests.
Once you identify negatives of interest, we may need to send you a contact sheet in order for you to determine if the images are of interest and, if so, which images you would like to order prints of. In order to create a contact sheet, archives staff must scan the negatives, a process that lasts anywhere from a few minutes to a few days depending on the size of the request. Because the scanning process is labor intensive we must limit the number of envelopes/negatives patrons may request per month (every 30 days). For more information on this, see the Contact Sheets section below.
Contact sheets are provided at the request of patrons. Watermarked PDF contact sheets of a maximum of 20 envelopes/100 negatives (whichever is greater) are provided at no charge per requester, per month. Requests exceeding this monthly limit will incur a charge of $0.50 per additional negative (with a minimum of a $5.00 charge). To order contact sheets, please send the item number(s) and title(s) of the negative(s) you would like to see to Assistant Director of Archives Jonathan Green at email@example.com. Once we receive this information we can scan the negatives and create the contact sheet.
You may purchase prints of scanned images. Stonehill contracts with a professional photo lab for high-quality photographic prints. These prints are not watermarked, but are protected under copyright and cannot be duplicated under any circumstances. Print orders can take two (2) to four (4) weeks to complete, and prints may be picked up in person or mailed to you via the USPS. Photographs are available for purchase at the current prices.
5 x 7 print - $15.00 8 x 10 print - $25.00 11 x 14 print - $40.00 16 x 20 print - $80.00
Purchasing Digital Images
Low resolution JPEG files at a maximum of 150 dpi and 2 inch x 3 inch scans of Bauman images may be requested at a cost of $5 per image. Images will contain a watermark and are for personal use only.
Images are not available to view online.
Prices are subject to change.
Buying a print does not give you permission to scan and/or publish a Bauman Image. All print or electronic reproduction of Bauman images requires a user agreement. Please contact Director of Archives Nicole Casper at 508-565-1121 for more information about using a Bauman image in a publication or for other commercial use.