The Bauman Collection is open for research. Appointments are required and can be scheduled Monday-Friday between 9am and 3pm. For information on summer hours please check our 'Location and Hours' webpage under the 'About the Archives' tab. Appointments should be scheduled a minimum of one week in advance.
What to Expect when visiting:
- Organization: Mr. Bauman filed negatives in envelopes by subject and assigned each envelope a unique cataloging number which must be found using the index.
- Indexes: Negatives taken between 1946 and 1958 can be searched online. Negatives taken after 1958 are indexed in paper binders arranged chronologically by year. Please note that there are a limited number of negatives from 1934 to 1941, and no negatives exist between the years of 1942 and 1945.
- Viewing Negatives: Once cataloging numbers are identified, staff will pull the negatives for researchers to view using a light table. Researchers can then request for the negatives to be scanned to view as positive images.
- Digital Images: Low resolution JPEG files at a maximum of 150 dpi and 2 inch x 3 inch scans of Bauman images may be requested at a cost of $5 per image. Images will contain a watermark and are for personal use only.
- Purchasing Prints: You may purchase prints of scanned images. Stonehill contracts with a local photo lab for high-quality photographic prints. These prints are not watermarked, but are protected under copyright and cannot be duplicated under any circumstances. Print orders can take two (2) to four (4) weeks to complete, and prints may be picked up in person or mailed to you via the USPS. Prints from the scans can be requested at the following costs:
5 x 7 print - $15.00
8 x 10 print - $25.00
11 x 14 print - $40.00
16 x 20 print - $80.00
Notice: Bauman Print Orders for Christmas Delivery must be made before December 2, 2013
Orders received after December 2 will not be processed until January 2, 2014
What happens if you cannot visit?
If you are not able to come to the archives to do research yourself:
- You may request archives staff to conduct a limited search for 1-2 photos.
- When requesting a search you must provide a description of the photo and a 5 year time-frame within which the photo was taken.
- Archives staff will conduct three searches per month, per person, of the Collection's paper indexes. Additional searches within a month will incur a $5.00 charge per search.
- Staff cannot conduct searches for any photo taken of a particular person, place, organization, or event.
- Watermarked PDF contact sheets of a maximum of 20 envelopes/100 negatives (whichever is greater) will be provided at no charge per requester, per month. Requests exceeding the monthly limit will incur a $0.50 per negative charge (with a minimum of a $5.00 charge). To see a sample contact sheet click here.
Please contact us for more information.