Archives & Historical Collections Department

The Archives and Historical Collections Department acquires and preserves collections which document the history of Stonehill, Southeastern Massachusetts and support the mission of the College.

Bauman Negative Index Updated with 1958 Negatives 


Come see the Stonehill College Archive's newest exhibit,

"Ames Mansions of Easton: A Collaborative Project between the Easton Historical Society and the Stonehill College Archives,"

Open Until Summer 2015

Located in the Archive's exhibit gallery on the first floor of Cushing-Martin Hall (across from the Carole Calo Gallery).



In addition to housing the College Archives, the  department is also home to several unique and nationally significant historical collections including:

Stanley A. Bauman Collection

A collection of over 500,000 negatives of Brockton and Southeastern Massachusetts from the 1930s-2003.

Joseph W. Martin, Jr. Papers

This collection includes the manuscripts, correspondence, photographs and artifacts of this former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives' 50 years in American political life.

Michael Novak Papers

Stonehill alumnus, Michael Novak ‘56, retired George T. Jewitt Scholar in Religion, Philosophy and Public Policy at the American Enterprise Institute in Washington, D.C, is a world renowned author, philosopher and theologian and recipient of the 1994 Templeton Prize. His papers include over 300 linear feet of manuscripts, books, correspondence, newspaper columns, journal articles, awards, and memorabilia.

Stonehill Industrial History Collections

  • Arnold B. Tofias Industrial Archives (aka Ames Shovel Museum) Donated to Stonehill College by real estate developer, Arnold Tofias, in 1973, The Arnold B. Tofias Industrial Archives are the records, artifacts and papers of 19th and 20th century Ames enterprises, in particular the O. Ames Company, manufacturers of shovels. In addition to 783 shovels, the collection includes over 1,500 linear ft. of manuscript material.
  • Ames True Temper Collection The Ames True Temper Collection was acquired by Stonehill College from 2002 to 2006 from the current Ames Company's facility in Parkersburg, West Virginia, since closed. The collection includes some materials from the 19th century but is dominated by 20th century items. Everything for inventories and catalogs to anti-submarine depth charges ("hedgehogs") made during WWII. The collection also contains promotional films and videos. See the finding aid for a more detailed itemization of items in the collection.
  • Ames Family Collection This Collection documents the diverse reach of an enterprising and successful industrial family from the mid-19th through mid 20th centuries. Success with shovels provided the means to investment and financial success in other industries. The Collection also contains records of these endeavors in addition to extensive records of the day to day personal finances and estates of the many members of the Ames Family in the 19th and 20th centuries.
  • Ingram Collection Donated by David B. Ingram in 2007, this collection provides primary and secondary source data on ironworking in southeastern Massachusetts during the Colonial era. The product of over fifty years of research in Boston area historical collections, the David B. Ingram Collection consists of photocopies of maps, deeds, correspondence, meeting minutes, and other primary sources, as well as historical volumes and Mr. Ingram’s research notes. Topics addressed by the collection include the iron industry, cannon making, lands and boundaries in southeastern Massachusetts, and individual and family biographical information.
  • Brockton Shoe Museum Collections Dedicated in 1981, the mission of the Brockton Shoe Museum is to preserve and promote the history of the United States Shoe Industry with an emphasis on Brockton and Southeastern Massachusetts. Its collections include over five hundred different shoes and records and publications relating to the shoe industry. In 2003, concerned about two recent acquisitions, the Shoe Trades Publications Collection and the William A. Rossi Collections, the Museum entered into a partnership with Stonehill College, located a few miles south of the museum and placed these collections on loan with the department.

Archives & Historical Collections Blog

Stonehill’s First Woman Alumni – Luice Moncey ’53

Luice Moncey ’53 A member of the Class of 1953, Luice Moncey has the distinction of being the first female graduate at Stonehill. Originally founded as an all-male institution, Stonehill became coed in the fall of 1951. A resident of Avon, MA at the time, she previously studied at UMass, but was unhappy. Her mother […]

Read Post

Stone Hill House Tour

In September 1948, Stonehill opened its doors. In July 1935, the Congregation of Holy Cross purchased 350 acres of land from Edith Cutler. In January 1905, Edward and Mary Hayward sold several parcels of land to Frederick Lothrop Ames. These are three key moments in Stonehill College’s history. Besides their connection to Stonehill College, they […]

Read Post