Visual Studies Concentration
The Arts & Visual Culture major – Visual Studies concentration encourages students to study visual products from the past and present, including paintings, sculpture, architecture, film and mass media.
The visual studies student learns to critically engage with these forms and to understand them as a window into discussions about identity, society and the formation of values. Visual studies bridges the world between multiple traditional academic disciplines with a focus on the theory, history and cultural implications of visual culture. Students will take classes in art history, communication, cinema studies, critical theory, American studies, gender and sexuality studies, and English, among others.
Students in this concentration are interested in critical theory and how that might apply to a professional career where disciplinary overlap and a broad knowledge-base are essential. Future career opportunities could include curatorial work, non-profit and arts administration, or entrepreneurial creative fields.
Arts & Visual Culture, B.A., Visual Studies Concentration
The Arts & Visual Culture major with a concentration in Visual Studies requires the completion of five core courses and six visual studies courses, including a capstone course.
Career Development Resources
The Stonehill Career Development Center offers extensive assistance to students seeking employment, pursuing advanced studies or participating in postgraduate service opportunities. By completing internships and utilizing mentors, students are empowered to build lifelong career management skills.
Visual & Performing Arts Specific Career Resources
- Extensive on-campus recruiting program for internships and entry-level positions
- Annual career fairs
- Various industry-specific career lunches – arts administration, nonprofits
- Externships and internships in New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C. (weeklong and semesterlong programs).
- Boston Interactive Web Designer
- Cengage Learning Associate Content Project Manager
- Gibbes Museum of Art Membership Coordinator
- New Hampshire Historical Society Education Programs Coordinator
- Smithsonian Institution Education Specialist
Visual & Performing Arts Internship Opportunities
Places where visual and performing arts students have recently interned include: