History Internships & Opportunities
History majors and minors are strongly encouraged to pursue an experiential learning/internship opportunity as part of their program of study. Internships can be as short as two weeks or as long as a year. Students may earn academic credit for their internship as well.
Internships & Experiential Learning
Museums, educational institutions, archives, historic sites, government organizations and non-profits are just a few of the many internship opportunities available.
The History Department’s internship coordinator guides students through the process of researching, selecting, and applying for internships. History faculty meet with students regularly to mentor their experience.
Examples of past history internships:
- Brockton Enterprise
- Canterbury Shaker Village
- Center for International Study and Development
- The Freedom Trail Foundation
- Historic New England
- Irish Cultural Center
- John F. Kennedy Library
- Lambeth Palace, London
- Massachusetts Historical Society
- Museum of Our National Heritage
- National Archives and Records
- Peabody Museum
- Plimoth Plantation
- Royal College of Physicians, London
- Strong Women, Strong Girls Foundation
Stonehill Undergraduate Research Experience
The Stonehill Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) is an opportunity for students who have completed their first year at Stonehill to perform significant, publishable, full-time research under the guidance of and in collaboration with an experienced faculty researcher.
- Jacob LaFiandra ‘21 is researching President Calvin Coolidge’s political ascension within the national Republican Party in the context of ethnic and class tensions during the First Red Scare and the Boston Police Strike of 1919.
- Siobhan McKenna '19 worked with Linzy Brekke-Aloise, associate professor of history, on the website, “Teaching History with Hamilton.”
- History major Brendan Monahan ’15 worked with James Wadsworth, associate professor of History, on “An Examination of Northeastern Native Trade Ritual at Contact.”
- Sean Davenport ’15 worked with David Sander, assistant professor of History, on “Cinema, Islamic Reform and Popular Imagination in the Muslim World.”
Study Abroad Opportunities
The History Department strongly encourages students to enhance their History program through study at a university or college apart from Stonehill.
Most recently, history majors have studied in:
- Washington, D.C.
The History Society is an extra-curricular activity that seeks to provide members of the Stonehill community opportunities to explore local, national, and global history and discuss and debate how that history has affected their lives. The Society also encourages student interest, participation, and study of History by:
- Sponsoring discussions with professional historians
- Film and documentary screenings
- Historical debates
- Networking with alumni
- Trips and other events, including: Gettysburg, Pennsylvania; Lexington & Concord in Massachusetts; Washington D.C.
Career Development Resources for Students
The Stonehill Career Development Center offers extensive assistance to students seeking employment, pursuing advanced studies or participating in postgraduate service opportunities. By completing internships and utilizing mentors, students are empowered to build lifelong career management skills.
History-specific career resources
- Extensive on-campus recruiting program for internships and entry-level jobs.
- Annual career fairs and graduate school information sessions.
- Externships and internships in New York; Washington, D.C.; and Los Angeles (weeklong and semesterlong programs).
- Various industry-specific career lunches – government, nonprofits, sustainability, social media and public relations.
- History careers panel.
- Boston Yacht Charters
- Cengage Learning
- Associate Content Project Manager
- Ernst & Young
- Goldman Sachs
- Tax Operations, Cost Basis Analysis Team
- Health & Hospitals Corp.
- Chief Financial Officer of Jacobi Hospital
- Holmgren, Koretz, Scarano & Murphy
- Plymouth County Probate
- Judicial Case Manager
- Suffolk University
- Admissions Counselor
- Trinity Catholic Academy
- Regional Director
- Community Development
- Manager/Video Editor