Wednesday, February 14, 2018
- Valentine's Day Movies at the Library: Many a box of chocolates is eaten on Valentine’s Day in front of a romantic movie on your television or computer screen. Check out some of our staff and student favorites, available in the Library's DVD and streaming media collections.
- Read a Romance This Valentine's Day: Did you know that we have a Leisure Reading collection? There are many great books in this collection that you might want to read just for fun. And if you are looking for something to read for Valentine’s Day, we have great assortment of romance novels that might just make you fall in love. Come check them out!
- Valentine's Day History: Shopping malls and restaurants are decorated in red and pink, hearts hanging from the ceiling. It is the special day for romance we call Valentine’s Day; but how did this day come to be?
- Happy Valentine's Day From the Library Staff: Thank you for all your Love Notes to the Library - If you haven't gotten a chance to leave your note, there's still time!
- Introducing the Loo Lowdown: Our Web & Social Media intern, Rachel Riani '19, has created our first "Loo Lowdown," a flyer about what's going on in the Library each month. Find it in the Library's "Loos"!
- Research Forum: On Thursday, February 22nd at 2:30pm in the south end of the first floor of the Library, Shari Lowin, Professor of Religious Studies, will give a talk titled "'Here Are My Daughters, if You Must Do So!' The Disturbing Account of Lot's Offer of His Daughters in the Qur'an and the Jewish Tradition."
- Lexis Nexis Academic is now Nexis Uni: On February 28th, Lexis Nexis Academic is being retired and replaced by Nexis Uni. The new search interface enables quick discovery across all content types, personalized discipline pages for those who set up individual profiles and a collaborative workspace for group assignments. Currently, you'll find both Lexis Nexis Academic and Nexis Uni on the "L" tab of our Databases Libguide. You will also find NexisUni on the Databases LibGuide under "N"; this will be the permanent location for this resource after February 28th.
- Black History Month Book Ribbon: Visit the Library home page to view our Black History Month Book Ribbon, with titles such as Before the Mayflower: A History of Black America and A Shining Thread of Hope: The History of Black Women in America.
- Introducing Linus the Libralien: Over the break, the Library acquired a new intergalactic intern, who was named "Linus" by our students. You may have seen Libralien on our social media. Keep an eye out for his antics this Spring and send your best #Libralien sightings to @macphaidinlibrary on Instagram or Stonehill College MacPhaidin Library on Facebook for a chance to win a Jolt Charger!
- What can I book? What can you book in the Library? You can book group study rooms and book appointments with a librarian, all online.
- Security Certificate Warnings in Library Resources: The Library provides off-campus access to databases via a proxy server; due to websites increasing their security protocols, we are seeing a dramatic increase in the number of security certificate warnings received when trying to access resources.
- Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, like us on Facebook, and visit our Pinterest page!