Wednesday, April 11, 2018
- Patriots' Day 2018: This year, Patriots' Day is on Monday, April 16, 2018. It is the 243rd anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and Concord.
- Money Smart Week 2018: Money Smart Week is a public awareness campaign by financial organizations working together to help consumers better manage their personal finances.
- Earth Day 2018: Earth Day is celebrated each year on April 22nd. The Earth Day Network leads Earth day worldwide, and the campaign this year is to End Plastic Pollution.
- April is National Poetry Month: April is National Poetry Month, and many colleges celebrate by hosting poetry readings from students, professors, or guest speakers. This year, the MacPhaidin Library is celebrating National Poetry Month with an event called “Paper the Library with Poetry.”
- Exploring Identity Lunch Series: First-Generation College Students On Thursday, April 12th, from 12-1pm in the DisCo, participants in this interactive session will be encouraged to reflect on their own personal narratives while also gaining a greater understanding of the issues that face First-Generation College Students both here at Stonehill and beyond. Participants will learn about the struggles that first-gens face while navigating the higher-education system. The session will close with a discussion on how to create an inclusive yet diverse campus. To attend, RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Take the Library Survey! Every year, the MacPhaidin Library sends out a survey asking students for their feedback about the library. Invitations to participate have been sent to all students. One more reminder will come out, so if you missed your earlier chances, be sure to respond before the survey closes at the end of the week!
- Update your Wall Street Journal Access: The Wall Street Journal recently made some changes to its system. Both existing and new users should visit our LibGuide to create an account to obtain free access to The Wall Street Journal's website. Event if you previously registered for a WSJ membership, you will need to restore your account access. Restoration is quick and easy—simply click on this link and sign in to continue your membership.
If you haven’t taken advantage of our campus pass, register today to get the real-world news and insights!
- Book Your Research Consultations Now! The end of the semester will be here before you know it. Be sure to book your one-on-one research consultation with a librarian for help brainstorming research topics, finding books and articles, or determining how best to cite your work. You can book your consultation using LibCal.
- Library Hours During the Exam Period: The Library is open to Stonehill Students, Faculty, and Staff only during the Exam Period, beginning on April 25th. The Library is closed to the public until Monday, May 14th. View our hours page for more details.
- Lexis Nexis Academic is now Nexis Uni: On February 28th, Lexis Nexis Academic was retired and replaced by Nexis Uni. The new search interface enables quick discovery across all content types, personalized discipline pages for those who set up individual profiles and a collaborative workspace for group assignments. You'll find NexisUni on the Databases LibGuide under "N"; please note that due to the known, ongoing security certificate issues, many features of NexisUni are currently only available on campus. We have provided two links, in order to allow on-campus users to access the full database, and give some options for off-campus use.
- Security Certificate Warnings in Library Resources: The Library provides off-campus access to databases via a proxy server; due to websites increasing their security protocols, we are seeing a dramatic increase in the number of security certificate warnings received when trying to access resources.
- Community Service Month Book Ribbon: Amongst the many other celebrations this month, April is also Community Service Month. Visit the Library's home page for a Book Ribbon of related resources.
- Library of Things: We're looking into a "library of things" and want your suggestions on what to include. Send your ideas to Allison Keaney, email@example.com. Everyone who submits an idea will be entered in a prize drawing for a Jolt Charger.
- Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, like us on Facebook, and visit our Pinterest page!