Library Newsletter – April 10, 2019
- Take the Library Survey! Every year, the MacPhaidin Library sends out a survey asking students to give feedback about the library. We are interested in your interactions with our librarians and student employees, how we can best to communicate our services to you, and whether you feel represented and comfortable in the library.
- Divercity 2019: Mark your calendars, DiverCity is almost here! DiverCity: A Festival of Cultural Celebration, is sponsored by Stonehill’s SGA Diversity Committee and supported by the Office of Intercultural Affairs.
- Boston Marathon Bombing: On the morning of April 15, athletes from around the world will gather in Hopkinton for the start of the 123rd running of the Boston Marathon. But that day is also one for somber remembrance as it marks the 6th anniversary of the Boston Marathon Bombing.
- Library of Congress Anniversary: Happy birthday to the Library of Congress, which turns 219 on April 24. It was on that day in 1800 that President John Adams approved the appropriation of $5,000 for the purchase of “such books as may be necessary for the use of Congress.” The library’s original collection, which was
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
Every newsletter, the library will be featuring a resource for the campus. If you know of a resource you would like us to feature, please email the Library Web and Social Media Team.
- Resilient Campus Podcast: Amplifying the Voices of College Inclusion Innovators: This podcast from a professor discussing inclusive topics, her experience working in Academic Affairs and then teaching. People assumed she wasn't first gen student and wasn't poor. What it is to be a working professional in academia. Dealing with economic disadvantage.
- Want to Work in the Library? The library is planning to hire students workers for the fall this semester in order to start training now. Check the Stonehill College Employment site soon for details. Stop in at The Desk and ask us how great it is to work here!
- Faculty Research Forum: Please join us on Monday, April 15th at 2:30pm in the south end of the MacPhaidin Library for a faculty research forum hosted by Professor Anna Lannstrom for a talk titled Putting Philosophy in Motion: Finding Better Ways to be an Academic.
- Can You Haiku? April is National Poetry Month. Come join in the fun and write a library haiku. Just drop it in the box at The Desk.
- Library Hours During the Exam Period: The Library is open to Stonehill Students, Faculty, and Staff only during the Exam Period, beginning on April 22nd. The Library is closed to the public until May 13th. View our hours page for more details.
- Book Launch: Please join us on Wednesday, April 10th at 2:30pm in the south end of the MacPhaidin Library for a book launch featuring Rabbi H. David Werb and Rev. Francis Cloherty’s new book, One God Two Faiths – What Do Catholics and Jews Believe? This book launch is sponsored by the Catholic Jewish Dialogue and the Provost’s Office.
- Safezone Series: Best Practices & Beyond: Continued Growth. Please join us on Tuesday, April 23rd in the DisCo from 2:30am to 3:45pm for this SafeZone workshop hosted by the Office of Intercultural Affairs.
- Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, like us on Facebook, and visit our Pinterest page!