Brief Alcohol Screening Intervention for College Students (BASICS) is a service for students who want to explore their alcohol use. It is designed to assist students in examining their own behaviors around alcohol use in a judgment free environment. If you are completing BASICS as part of a College Sanction you will be assigned a BASICS Facilitator from the Office of Community Standards. It is your responsibility to contact the BASICS Facilitator in a timely manner in order to complete your BASICS sanction by the due date to avoid additional fines or sanctions.
E-Check Up To Go
The Alcohol e-CheckUpToGo is an interactive web survey that allows college and university students to enter information about their drinking patterns and receive feedback about their use of alcohol. The assessment takes about 20 minutes to complete. When you access the Alcohol e-CheckUpToGo, you are prompted to enter information about yourself. In addition to demographic information, it will ask you to enter information about your drinking habits, knowledge about alcohol, family history, and protective factors with drinking. Once you submit the form, the information you entered is then validated and processed. The Alcohol e-CheckUpToGo calculates a number of variables and compares your responses to national college norms.
To access the ALCOHOL E-Check Up To Go Assessment
* If you are taking the E-Check Up To Go assessment for your own educational purposes and would like to make an appointment to discuss your results please contact theHealth and Wellness Office at 508-565-1544.
SANCTIONS REQUIRED PAPERWORK
If you are taking the assessment as part of a college sanction please remember to print a copy of your feedback results as well as thecompletion certificate. Bring these papers to your next scheduled meeting with your assigned college administrator, staff or counselor. At the end of your second BASICS meeting with your BASICS facilitator please bring all paperwork:
- Signed BASICS Agreement Form
- Completion Certificate
- Completed Evaluation Form
To the Health and Wellness Office, Roche Dining Commons, Room 113 to complete your sanction requirements.
REASONS TO PARTICIPATE
Whether you are concerned about your alcohol use or just curious how your use compares to others the E-Check Up To Go online survey can assist you in providing detailed personalized feedback about your current alcohol use.
WHAT TO EXPECT
BASICS involves two sessions with an assigned BASICS Facilitator.
Session 1: A 20-30 minute appointment where you will receive information about the program including information on how to access a web-based questionnaire.
Session 2: Based on the data collected in the questionnaire, you will receive a feedback profile that provides personalized information about your use of alcohol and other drugs and how it compares to other College students. You will review the feedback profile in a one-on-one session lasting approximately 60 minutes. We will work with you to schedule the session at a time that fits with your schedule.
WHAT STONEHILL STUDENTS SAID ABOUT BASICS
- I liked the judgment free atmosphere”
- My BASICS Facilitator was great, she was very easy to talk to and she was very helpful”
- My facilitator was very respectful, helpful and non-judgmental”
- It was very comfortable, felt more like a conversation”
- I didn’t feel like I was being blamed for anything, it was very non-judgmental”
- It felt like a very safe environment where I was able to speak freely”
- it helped be really think about my drinking and come up with a plan to fix it”
For more information about either of these assessments please contact:
The Health and Wellness Office
Roche Dining Commons, Room 113