Writing tutors are strong writers, attentive listeners, and thoughtful collaborators who enjoy working with others. Students from any discipline are eligible and must meet the following criteria prior to hire:
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA and uphold a positive standing with the Office of Community Standards.
- Submit the online application including a faculty recommendation.
- Participate in interviews with the Senior Writing Tutor and Director.
- Complete WRI 369, Tutoring Writing: Theory and Practice
- Complete (3) observations of at least two consultants in the CWAA outside of class time.
- Submit all required forms to Student Employment prior to employment.
Completing the application:
- Ensure you meet the criteria and that Tutoring Writing: Theory and Practice fits in your schedule.
- Contact a faculty member or adviser who can speak to your qualifications. When you submit the application, an electronic recommendation form will be emailed directly to them for completion.
- Submit an application, which includes a current resume and writing sample that demonstrates your skill with academic writing.
- All applicants will be notified of their selection prior to registration deadlines.
- Selected applicants will participate in an interview with the Senior Tutor and Director. Bring a hard-copy of the completed Course Approval Form.
- Chosen students must register for Tutoring Writing: Theory and Practice and earn a grade of B or better.