Counseling Services staff members regard each student as a unique individual and empowers her/his effort to attain self-understanding, integrity, and academic success. Our staff members work to enhance the mission of the college by supporting and assisting students within the college community.
- Help students resolve psychological barriers that interfere with personal and academic growth.
- Support students as they cope with and adjust to college and life pressures.
- Teach students skills that enable them to optimize personal effectiveness.
- Be proactive in responding to needs, interests, and concerns of a diverse Stonehill community.
- Provide services that encourage students to become socially responsible individuals.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of Counseling Services on a continual basis.
What We Offer
Students are randomly assigned a counselor or can request a specific one. Confidentiality is assured and there is no cost or limitation placed on the number of sessions. Under some circumstances, the student's needs may extend beyond the support availabe at Counseling Services and a referral to an off-campus resource would be made. Medication consultation is available for ongoing counseling clients of Counseling Services with our consulting psychiatrist.
Groups are formed based upon student needs and concerns and are typically pscyho-educational in format. Counseling Services will announce group offerings each semester. Previous group topics have included healthy relationships, self-esteem, and expressive arts.
Assessment might be used in conjunction with ongoing counseling. Our current assessment services available include personality assessment, various mental health screening tools, anger assessment, and career interest assessment. Counseling Services collaborates with Academic Achievement/ Disabilities Services to assist students with referrals for area providers of psychological testing around disorders that may be interfering with a student's learning process. Counseling Services also collaborates with a local specialty agency to provide substance abuse assessments.
The Counseling Services staff is available to Stonehill faculty and staff to address student concerns. The staff is available to discuss concerns or to make formal presentations on specific topics. The clinicians also provide training to orientation leaders and resident assistants, as well as supervision to graduate-level trainees in such fields as counseling and social work.