Fr. John has been at Stonehill since 2000 but his new position as president of the College has placed him before a much wider audience.
Elsewhere on this website, you’ll find stories about Fr. Denning’s experience and about his goals for the College. But here are a dozen little facts that will give you a more personal perspective on the man behind the title.
- Where were you born?: Providence, Rhode Island
- Last book read: A Generation Divided: The New Left, the New Right, and the 1960s
- Favorite music: Irish (top three groups: Wolfe Tones, Dolores Keane, The Chieftains)
- Last concert attended: Bruce Springsteen at the Boston Garden (when it was the Boston Garden)
- Favorite food: Pasta with white sauce and littleneck clams
- Favorite Bible passage: “Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this, some have unwittingly entertained angels.” (Hebrews 13:2)
- Favorite leisure activity: Kayaking
- Favorite sport: Notre Dame football
- Favorite sport played: Cross country and track in high school and, in recent years, I have run the Family Weekend 5K Road Race at Stonehill
- Favorite ice cream: Black raspberry
- Favorite place to get ice cream: Gray’s Ice Cream, Tiverton, R.I.
- Favorite vacation spot: Anywhere along the ocean
- Farthest traveled from home: Peru