Into the Streets
Into the Streets (ITS) is a student-led community service program that encourages the entire Stonehill family to go beyond the walls of campus in pursuit of the common good. Inspired by the enduring values of Holy Cross Education, the ITS team promotes a culture of social change and a life of meaning and purpose.
Faith & Compassionate Action
Under the direction of the Office of Campus Ministry, ITS volunteers put faith into compassionate action. They act as role models for youth, help people who are developmentally disabled reach their full potential, provide companionship for people who are elderly neighbors and tutor in the local community. Volunteers fight hunger and homelessness, protect the environment and care for those who are sick.
Stonehill has been named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for six of the last seven years, and the ITS program is one of the biggest contributors to this achievement.
Stonehill’s largest student-run organization, 700 students contributed over 90,000 hours of service to the community through ITS in 2013.
Student coordinators serve as liaisons and advocates for specific justice issues and community partners. They facilitate communication between Campus Ministry, volunteers and the organizations and people they serve. They arrange logistics, demonstrate a commitment to social justice, actively participate in service, and nurture a faith that does justice.
Student coordinators help volunteers build personal connections, gain new perspective and recognize the human dignity of each individual. In turn, they grow in their professionalism, enthusiasm for service and capacity for leadership and civic engagement.
The Office of Campus Ministry links Into the Streets volunteers with community organizations that present a real opportunity to make a difference.
- Animal Protection Center of Southeastern MA (APCSM)
- Blue Dog Animal Shelter
Cross Cultural Experiences
- Cape Verdean Association (CVA)
- George School Bi-Lingual Tutoring Program
- The English Transcultural Center at Catholic Charities South
- Best Buddies of Massachusetts
- House of Possibilities (HOPe)
- Brockton Area Arc
Education and Tutoring
- Children’s Museum of Easton
- School on Wheels
- Trinity Catholic Academy
- Braemoor Rehabilitation
- Hearthstone at Heights Crossing
- Heights Crossing Assisted Living
- Guardian Hospice of MA
- Natural Resources Trust of Easton (NRT)
- The Farm at Stonehill
- Community, Outreach, Prevention, Education (C.O.P.E) Program
- American Cancer Society
- Brockton Veterans Administrative (VA) Hospital
- Gentiva Hospice
Hunger and Homelessness
- Charity Guild Food Pantry and Thrift Store
- Family Life Center (Old Colony YMCA)
- Fr. Bill’s & MainSpring (and The Table)
- Horizons for Homeless Children
- My Brother’s Keeper (MBK)
- Easton Food Pantry
- Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
- Big Sister Big Brother
- Boys and Girls Club of Brockton
- Girl Scouts
- A New Day (Penelope’s Place)