Theology Major & Minor
The Theology major at Stonehill systematically examines religious belief and the nature of God.
The Theology program at Stonehill fosters interdisciplinary study, allowing students to explore topics including the church, scripture, ethics, worship, and their intersection with contemporary life.
Theology courses critically study religious faith, practice and experience, rooted in historical awareness and contextual understanding. The major, part of the Religious Studies & Theology Department, revolves around a systematic exploration of Catholic theology, highlighting intellectual foundations and theoretical frameworks to facilitate ongoing critical reflection.
Theology at Stonehill considers the diversity of perspectives and experiences present in global Catholicism as well as the ways that ecumenism, dialogue and pluralism have influenced the living traditions of the faith.
Upon graduation, students will be able to:
- Understand the core themes and constructs of the field and gain general awareness of the fundamental historical, intellectual and methodological contexts of theology
- Contextualize and analyze primary religious texts and secondary sources
- Present persuasive arguments orally and in writing
- Develop awareness of theoretical models of the discipline and composition skills for analyzing, evaluating and contextualizing primary and secondary sources
- Grasp how the tradition's concrete historical and cultural contexts draw upon other academic disciplines including philosophy, history, archaeology, anthropology, sociology, psychology and art history
- Explore how the encounter with other faiths has influenced theology and creates an openness to inter-religious dialogue
- Engage in fieldwork that challenges one to seek justice and compassion in the community of faith and the society at large
Sample Theology Courses
Christian Prayer, Liturgy and Sacrament
The Mystery of Evil
Approaches to the Study of Religious Traditions
Where Our Religious Studies & Theology Department Graduates Work
Stonehill religious studies graduates go on to work at a range of notable organizations. Continue exploring where our graduates work.
Learn More About Our Theology Program
Students in the Religious Studies & Theology Department benefit from dedicated faculty across the College and a low student-to-faculty ratio.
Research & Experiential Learning Opportunities
The Religious Studies & Theology Department offers students opportunities for undergraduate research, study abroad, directed study and internships.
Stonehill religious studies and theology graduates go on to work at a range of notable organizations.