The Farm at Stonehill Launches Mobile Market
The Farm at Stonehill, through a $5,000 grant from Project Bread, is furthering its mission of providing our neighbors in Brockton with fresh, affordable produce with the launch of a Mobile Market.
The Farm at Stonehill is an initiative of the May School of Arts and Sciences and seeks to live out the college’s mission by: (1) making available fresh, nutritious, locally grown food to Brockton-area food pantries and meal providers to address food desert conditions, and (2) enriching Stonehill faculty and student academic and service endeavors by educating and actively engaging them in local and global food justice issues.
Our mission is achieved by:
- Utilizing 1.5 acres of Stonehill College land to farm and grow nutritious fruits and vegetables.
- Inviting the entire campus community - students, faculty, and staff - to join us in the fields and hoop-houses.
- Connecting with food pantries, meal providers, and social service agencies in nearby areas to provide their clients with fresh and nutritious foods.
- Developing and supporting programs that encourage healthy eating including cooking classes and an after-school garden program for elementary students.
- Encouraging sustainable behavior on campus to encourage our community to contribute to a socially and environmentally just world.