Stonehill College’s accepts an invitation from the NCAA Division I Northeast Conference (NEC), ending its long-time association with the NCAA Division II Northeast 10 Conference (NE-10)
History of Stonehill
The $35 million Meehan School building features the latest technology for the classroom, research, collaboration and project-based learning, empowering all students to be adaptive, compassionate leaders.
The May School building brings together Stonehill’s core disciplines and departments and provides modern, technology-driven classrooms, a world-class lecture hall, a café, bookstore and collaborative workspaces for students and faculty.
With the addition of the Rev. Mark T. Cregan C.S.C. Athletic and Fitness Center, the College's Sally Blair Ames Sports Complex now offers enhanced fitness and wellness options for varsity athletes and recreational users.
The 9,000 solar panel field is the largest on a New England college campus, according to the Association for Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education.
The bridge, named in honor of a beloved professor and student mentor, crosses Ames Pond and connects the area around Cardinal O’Hara Hall and the south quad with the east side of campus.
Rev. John Denning, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's tenth president.
The mark serves as a visual expression of the College’s treasured motto, Lux et Spes (“Light and Hope”).
In 2010, New Hall opens as the newest residence hall on campus.
Blessed Brother André Bessette becomes first saint from the Congregation of Holy Cross
Dedicated in 2010, the Thomas and Mary Shields Science Center at Stonehill College houses the Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Psychology Departments.
The College awards it's 20,000th diploma at 2006 Commencement.
Athletic identity changes from Chieftains to Skyhawks.
W.B. Mason Stadium is dedicated on September 10, 2005.
Cushing Martin Library is renovated and reopens as Cushing-Martin Hall.
Rev. Mark T. Cregan, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's ninth president.
The MacPháidín Library opens in 1998.
The Notre Dame Dulac Residence Hall opens in 1997.
Sheehan Hall opens in 1993.
The Villa Theresa Residence Hall opens in 1991.
The Joseph W. Martin Jr. Institute opens in 1990.
The Sally Blair Ames Sports Complex opens in 1988.
Stanger Hall opens in 1986 as a computer center.
The Education Building (originally the carriage house for the Ames family) opens.
Sullivan Hall opens as a residence hall in 1981.
Stonehill and six other colleges and universities founded the Northeast 7 Conference, which in 1987 became the Northeast 10 (NE-10) Conference
In 1980, the Merkert Wing of the Science Building opens and is renamed Merkert Tracy Science Center.
In 1979, the College obtained the David Ames Clock Farm after David Ames donated the greater part of the farm in October 1978. The College purchased the remaining portions of the property shortly after.
Rev. Bartley MacPhaidin, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's eighth president.
Mr. C. James Cleary is appointed as the College's seventh president on an interim basis.
Holy Cross Seminary is leased from the Congregation as a residence space and renamed Holy Cross Center.
The College Center opens in 1973.
Rev. Ernest Bartell, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's sixth president.
Stonehill Coffee House Brother Mike's opens for the first time in 1970.
Commonwealth Court is built with 14 residences (6 additional residences are built in 1970).
Rev. Francis J. Boland Hall opens as a women’s residence. The building is named for Fr. Boland because he was president when women were first admitted to the College.
Rev. John T. Corr, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's fifth president
South Wing and Philip L. Hemingway Auditorium are added to Holy Cross Hall.
The Richard J. Cushing-Joseph W. Martin Library opens in 1962.
Cardinal John O’Hara Hall opens as a men’s residence
The College is accredited by the New England Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
Rev. Richard H. Sullivan, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's fourth president.
Holy Cross Hall, now Duffy Academic Center, opens as the first classroom building on lower campus.
A student excavation on lower campus leads to the discovery of relics from late 17th century, era of King Philip, Chief of the Wampanoag Indians. Some artifacts at the same site are dated back to the Stone Bowl Occupation (1500 B.C. to 500 A.D.)
Rev. James J. Sheehan, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's third president.
The first woman, Margaret Mullaney, is named valedictorian.
Second College Commencement is held outdoors under a green-and-white tent, beginning a tradition. First female, Luice Moncey, graduates. Lourdes Grotto and Shrine Dedicated.
64 men graduate during the first College Commencement.
In 1951, Stonehill becomes co-educational.
Rev. Francis J. Boland, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's second president.
Science building opens, today known as Merkert-Tracy Hall.
Stonehill College is founded on June 29, 1948, by the Congregation of Holy Cross. On October 12, 1948, led in prayer by Bishop James Cassidy and joined by representatives of the Congregation of Holy Cross and many others, the College celebrated its official opening, known as Founders’ Day.
Rev. George Benaglia, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's first president.
The Congregation of Holy Cross founds King’s College in Wilkes-Barre, PA.
The Ames airfield (built by Frederick Lothrop Ames’s son Freddy), is used by the Navy for training exercises.
The Congregation of Holy Cross purchases Stone-House Hill House and 350 surrounding acres to be used as a seminary.
Stone-House Hill House is built by Frederick Lothrop Ames in North Easton, MA.