Leo J. Meehan School of Business Opens

2019
The $35 million Meehan School building features the latest technology for the classroom, research, collaboration and project-based learning, empowering all students to be adaptive, compassionate leaders.

Thomas and Donna May School of Arts & Sciences Opens

2018
The May School building brings together Stonehill’s core disciplines and departments and provides modern, technology-driven classrooms, a world-class lecture hall, a café, bookstore and collaborative workspaces for students and faculty.

Rev. Mark T. Cregan C.S.C. Athletic and Fitness Center Opens

2015
With the addition of the Rev. Mark T. Cregan C.S.C. Athletic and Fitness Center, the College's Sally Blair Ames Sports Complex now offers enhanced fitness and wellness options for varsity athletes and recreational users.

Solar Field Completed

2014
The 9,000 solar panel field is the largest on a New England college campus, according to the Association for Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education.

Rev. Thomas Feeley, C.S.C. Bridge Opens

2014
The bridge, named in honor of a beloved professor and student mentor, crosses Ames Pond and connects the area around Cardinal O’Hara Hall and the south quad with the east side of campus.

Tenth President Appointed

2013
Rev. John Denning, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's tenth president.

New Visual Mark Unveiled

2013
The mark serves as a visual expression of the College’s treasured motto, Lux et Spes (“Light and Hope”).

New Hall Opens as Residence Hall

2010
In 2010, New Hall opens as the newest residence hall on campus.

Congregation's First Saint Canonized

2010
Blessed Brother André Bessette becomes first saint from the Congregation of Holy Cross

Thomas & Mary Shields Science Center Opens

2009
Dedicated in 2010, the Thomas and Mary Shields Science Center at Stonehill College houses the Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Psychology Departments.

20,000th Graduate

2006
The College awards it's 20,000th diploma at 2006 Commencement.

New Athletic Identity

2005
Athletic identity changes from Chieftains to Skyhawks.

W.B. Mason Stadium Dedicated

2005
W.B. Mason Stadium is dedicated on September 10, 2005.

Library is Renovated

2001
Cushing Martin Library is renovated and reopens as Cushing-Martin Hall.

Ninth President Appointed

2000
Rev. Mark T. Cregan, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's ninth president.

MacPhaidin Library Opens

1998
The MacPháidín Library opens in 1998.

Notre Dame Dulac Residence Hall Opens

1997
The Notre Dame Dulac Residence Hall opens in 1997.

Sheehan Hall Opens

1993
Sheehan Hall opens in 1993.

Villa Theresa Residence Hall Opens

1991
The Villa Theresa Residence Hall opens in 1991.

Joseph W. Martin Jr. Institute Opens

1990
The Joseph W. Martin Jr. Institute opens in 1990.

Sally Blair Ames Sports Complex Opens

1988
The Sally Blair Ames Sports Complex opens in 1988.

Stanger Hall Opens as Computer Center

1986
Stanger Hall opens in 1986 as a computer center.

Education Building Opens

1983
The Education Building (originally the carriage house for the Ames family) opens.

Sullivan Hall Opens as a Residence Hall

1981
Sullivan Hall opens as a residence hall in 1981.

Merkert Wing of Science Building Opened

1980
In 1980, the Merkert Wing of the Science Building opens and is renamed Merkert Tracy Science Center.

David Ames Clock Farm is Obtained

1979
In 1979, the College obtained the David Ames Clock Farm after David Ames donated the greater part of the farm in October 1978. The College purchased the remaining portions of the property shortly after.

Eighth President Appointed

1978
Rev. Bartley MacPhaidin, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's eighth president.

Seventh President Appointed

1977
Mr. C. James Cleary is appointed as the College's seventh president on an interim basis.

Holy Cross Seminary Renamed Holy Cross Center

1974
Holy Cross Seminary is leased from the Congregation as a residence space and renamed Holy Cross Center.

College Center Opens

1973
The College Center opens in 1973.

Sixth President Appointed

1971
Rev. Ernest Bartell, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's sixth president.

Stonehill Coffee House Brother Mike's Opens

1970
Stonehill Coffee House Brother Mike's opens for the first time in 1970.

Commonwealth Court is Built

1968
Commonwealth Court is built with 14 residences (6 additional residences are built in 1970).

Women's Residence Opens

1967
Rev. Francis J. Boland Hall opens as a women’s residence. The building is named for Fr. Boland because he was president when women were first admitted to the College.

Fifth President Appointed

1964
Rev. John T. Corr, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's fifth president

Additions to Holy Cross Hall

1963
South Wing and Philip L. Hemingway Auditorium are added to Holy Cross Hall.

Richard J. Cushing-Joseph W. Martin Library Opens

1962
The Richard J. Cushing-Joseph W. Martin Library opens in 1962.

Men's Residence Opens

1961
Cardinal John O’Hara Hall opens as a men’s residence

Stonehill College Receives Accreditation

1959
The College is accredited by the New England Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.

Fourth President Appointed

1958
Rev. Richard H. Sullivan, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's fourth president.

Holy Cross Hall Opens

1957
Holy Cross Hall, now Duffy Academic Center, opens as the first classroom building on lower campus.

Student Excavation Uncovers Relics

1957
A student excavation on lower campus leads to the discovery of relics from late 17th century, era of King Philip, Chief of the Wampanoag Indians. Some artifacts at the same site are dated back to the Stone Bowl Occupation (1500 B.C. to 500 A.D.)

Third President Appointed

1955
Rev. James J. Sheehan, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's third president.

First Female Valedictorian

1954
The first woman, Margaret Mullaney, is named valedictorian.

Second College Commencement

1953
Second College Commencement is held outdoors under a green-and-white tent, beginning a tradition. First female, Luice Moncey, graduates. Lourdes Grotto and Shrine Dedicated.

First College Commencement

1952
64 men graduate during the first College Commencement.

Stonehill Becomes Co-Educational

1951
In 1951, Stonehill becomes co-educational.

Second President Appointed

1949
Rev. Francis J. Boland, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's second president.

Science Building Opens

1949
Science building opens, today known as Merkert-Tracy Hall.

Stonehill College is Founded

1948
Stonehill College is founded on June 29, 1948, by the Congregation of Holy Cross.

First President Appointed

1948
Rev. George Benaglia, C.S.C., is appointed as the College's first president.

King's College Founded

1946
The Congregation of Holy Cross founds King’s College in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

Ames Airfield Used for Training

1944
The Ames airfield (built by Frederick Lothrop Ames’s son Freddy), is used by the Navy for training exercises.

Stone-House Hill House Purchased

1935
The Congregation of Holy Cross purchases Stone-House Hill House and 350 surrounding acres to be used as a seminary.

Stone-House Hill House is Built

1905
Stone-House Hill House is built by Frederick Lothrop Ames in North Easton, MA.