English Internships & Opportunities
Our vibrant community extends learning well beyond the classroom through such experiences as the annual Undergraduate Literary Conference and offers opportunities to work alongside professors as a co-researcher in the SURE program or as a teaching apprentice. We also offer direct work training in internships at a wide variety of workplaces that value an English major’s many skills – from newspapers and magazines to television stations and theater companies to law firms and marketing agencies.
Stonehill Undergraduate Research Experience
The Stonehill Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) is an opportunity for students who have completed their first year at Stonehill to perform significant, publishable, full-time research under the guidance of and in collaboration with an experienced faculty researcher.
- English major Joe D’Amore ’16 recently worked with Matthew Borushko, associate professor of English, on "Adorno: Art, Society and Critique," examining the work of German sociologist, philosopher and composer Theodor Adorno.
- English major Victoria Young ’14 worked with Scott Cohen, associate professor of English, on “Roads Less Traveled: Intersections of Tourism and Commercialism in Britain and Abroad,” examining the writings of two modern British novelists to search for connections between the tourism industry in Europe and beyond.
Places where Stonehill students have recently interned include:
- Addison Wesley Publishing
- American Lung Association
- Arnold Worldwide Advertising
- Artscope Magazine
- Association of Independent Colleges
- Boston Ballet
- Boston Museum of Fine Arts
- The Boston Phoenix, alternative weekly newspaper
- Channel 5 sports, WCVB
- Channel 22 news, WWLP
- Cornerstone Communications
- Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- The Enterprise, local daily newspaper
- The Green Education Foundation
- Habitat Massachusetts Audubon Sanctuary
- Harvard Common Press
- Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- New England Wildlife Center
- New Village Press
- Norfolk County D.A.
- Offshore Communications
- Old Colony YMCA
- Robert B. Mann, Attorney at Law
- Rounder Records
- Russian American Cultural Center
- The Sandra Feinstein-Gamm Theatre
- Scientific Corp.
- Teen Voices, national magazine
- Teach for America
- Time, national news magazine
- Tourism Cares
- Whole Person Health
Career Development Resources for Students
The Stonehill Career Development Center offers extensive assistance to students seeking employment, pursuing advanced studies or participating in postgraduate service opportunities. By completing internships and utilizing mentors, students are empowered to build lifelong career management skills.
English-specific career resources
- Extensive on-campus recruiting program for internships and entry-level jobs.
- Annual career fairs and graduate school information sessions.
- Externships and internships in New York; Washington, D.C.; and Los Angeles (weeklong and semesterlong programs).
- Various industry-specific career lunches – government, nonprofits, sustainability, event planning and development.
- English career panel.
The English Society is a student-led club that gives students the opportunity to engage with and enjoy literature and culture outside of the classroom. The English Society also organizes the annual Undergraduate Literature Conference in conjunction with Bridgewater State University and the University of Massachusetts, Boston.