What is the Cornerstone Program?

The Cornerstone Program consists of the general requirements every student must complete no matter what major they are pursuing. These requirements are outlined in the Hill Book here.

When do I have to declare a major?

At Stonehill, you are not required to declare a major until prior to the start of the second semester of your junior year. Of course, some majors (ie business, education, mathematics, science) should generally be declared early on, as there are more required courses for these majors. If you are undecided, this page contains strategies for choosing a major.

How do I declare or change my major or minor?

Work with the Registrar's Office to declare you major, major concentration, or minor:

How do I request a double major?

Students may declare up to two majors. This option must be requested by submitting a signed Declaration or Change of Major or Concentration Form along with an approved "Double Major Four-Year Plan". This is normally completed prior to enrollment in the student's final 45 credits. In some cases students may need to enroll in more than 124 credits in order to satisfy the requirements of both majors. Learn More.

May I have a double minor?

Students may declare up to two minor areas of study.  Starting with the Class of 2019, successful completion requires a minor GPA of 2.00.  Learn More..

Do I need to see my advisor?

Yes. You should meet with your advisor prior to course selection to discuss how the semester is going thus far, and possible course options for next semester. At your meeting, your advisor will provide you with your PIN card, which is required to register for classes. You should also follow up with your advisor about the courses you selected.

Do I have the option of changing my advisor?

Yes. It is very important to have a good rapport with your advisor. If you feel there is another faculty member that is currently an advisor in your major you would like to work with you may fill out an Advisor Request form.

How do I add or drop a course?

Once you have received a finalized schedule of your classes from the Registrar's Office, you have access to add or drop courses from your schedule through the date listed in the Academic Calendar as the last day for add/drop. 

What do I do if I want to drop a class after the add/drop period ends?

After the add/drop period is over, you still have several weeks to withdraw from a course. You should first discuss the issue with your professor and parents to weigh out the pros and cons of withdrawing from a course. Once you have decided that withdrawing from a course is in your best interest, you must meet with an advisor in the Office of Academic Services and Advising to further discuss the process, prior to the date listed in the Academic Calendar as the last day for course withdrawal.

How does a course withdrawal work? What does it mean?

You can withdraw from a class by the date listed in the Academic Calendar by stopping by the Office of Academic Services and Advising to obtain a withdrawal form. You will have to get this form signed by your professor and then meet with an advisor in the OAS&A, who will discuss the pros and cons of withdrawing and a plan for making up the class (if needed). A withdrawal differs from dropping a class (only an option during the add/drop period at the very beginning of the semester) in that it will appear on your transcript with a "W". This is usually not an issue, unless there are a number of "W"s on your transcript, or you can't provide a reasonable rationale for withdrawing when asked by a future graduate school or employer.

How do I take a course for a pass-fail grade?

The pass-fail option is only open to juniors and seniors, and available exclusive for a course which is a free elective and taken in a department other than your major or minor department. You must fill out the Pass/Fail Option Approval Form from the
Registrar's Office during the first two weeks of the semester to apply for pass-fail option.  The deadline to take a course pass-fail is published in the academic calendar.

What are the requirements for credit overload?

After speaking with your advisor, you may petition to take more than 17 or 18 credits (depending on your major - see the credit overload policy in the Hill Book) without charge by completing a Credit Overload Authorization Form available online or in our office. You must meet the following criteria:

  • Advisor approval
  • Minimum semester or cumulative grade point average of 3.3
  • First year students are not eligible.

The Director of Academic Services may approve exceptions to the above policies.

May I take a course during the summer and transfer the credits to Stonehill?

Yes. First, you must have the course approved by the Registrar's Office. More information on the course approval process is availble on the credit transfer portion of the Registrar's site.

How do I transfer to Stonehill?

All prospective transfer students should email Sam Smith, Special Assistant to the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Marketing, or call him at (508) 565-1217. 

Who should I contact if I recently transferred to Stonehill?

Recent transfers should contact the Office of Academic Services and Advising at 508-565-1306
 or academicservices@stonehill.edu with any questions on advising and academics at the College.

Who should I contact if I am thinking of withdrawing from Stonehill?

While we understand that student's ambitions may take them away from our campus, we want to do everything we can to confirm we have supported each student.  For that reason, we request that students  considering withdrawing meet with the Office of Academic Services and Advising to review their journey and provide feedback.  If you plan to withdraw from the College you will need to fill out the College Withdrawal form (available in Duffy 104) and meet with an advisor in the Office of Academic Services and Advising.  Please contact Richard Dufault, Assistant Director of Academic Services and Advising to discuss the withdrawal process.