How do I access my list of advisees?

Under the Faculty Services Tab in myHill you will see the “Student Information for Advisors” channel.  Click on “Email or List Advisees.”

How are advisees assigned?

Advisees are assigned by request of the student or allocation by the Office of Academic Services & Advising.  Please contact Masio Williams, Academic Advisor -, if you have any questions.

How should I prioritize my advising meetings?

Advisors should meet with their seniors first and then work their way down the class years during the advising period.  The recommended "Advising Window" for each class is based on each class's registration date and available on the Academic Calendar.

How do PIN cards work?

Registration PINs will be sent via email during each semester's advising period.  The PIN file includes a 6-digit access number, a date, and time for registration specific to each of your advisees.  Students will need this pin number to access the online registration system.  It should be given out only after your advisee has met with you to discuss their courses and plan for the next semester.

What resources are available to advisors?

Each semester, the Office of Academic Services & Advising provides Advisor Training for anyone interested in a refresher on the cornerstone program, registration information, etc. OAS&A is always available for questions or concerns about any and all advising matters; just call x1306 or stop by Duffy 104.

  • For student concerns, please fill out the Academic Intervention Form
  • For advisee assignments, please contact Masio Williams, x1045.
  • For PIN questions, please contact Donna Myles, x1306.

What should typically happen in an advising meeting?

There are several things that should happen in an advising meeting from logistics of registration to exploratory conversations about future planning and goal setting.  See: Guiding an Advising Session.

What is myAudit? How can it be helpful to advising?

myAudit is an online degree audit that students and advisors may view via myHill in order to keep track of the courses they have taken and still need to take to complete their degree requirements. This can be helpful for suggesting courses for your advisee to take during each semester and keeping them on track with cornerstone requirements, credits, and required major courses.

For exploratory students, or students considering a change in major, the “What If” feature allows you to view your audit as a different major. You’ll be able to see requirements for that program as well as which classes have been taken that already fulfill some requirements.

What are mid-semester assessments and how can I view them for my advisees?

Mid-semester assessments are evaluations of a student’s performance in class at the mid-semester mark. If your advisee receives a mid-semester assessment they will be sent to you from Academic Services & Advising through inter-office mail. Often times, these assessments are good conversation starters for students who may be struggling academically.

How many credits does a typical student take in a semester?

A typical liberal arts and business student takes 15-17 credits per semester. A science student typically takes 17-19 credits per semester, depending on how many labs they are taking.

What is the minimum amount of credits a student can take to be considered full-time?

The minimum amount of credits a student may take to be considered full-time is 12 credits. If a student withdraws from a course during the semester, those credits will be deducted from the current credit load and may put a student in a part-time status which can affect residency, financial aid, and athletic eligibility.

How do students register for classes?

Students register for classes via myHill at the registration date and time indicated on their PIN card. They should use a Course Planning Worksheet prior to their assigned registration time to identify courses and their CRN numbers. When it is time for registration, students should log on to myHill, select the myAcademics tab, then “Add or Drop Classes,” enter their PIN, and type in the CRN numbers.

This step-by-step worksheet will walk students through the whole process: Registration Tips

Can a student register for a class they have withdrawn from or failed previously?

A student will not be able to register for a class they have previously withdrawn from or failed. In order to gain permission to retake the class, students should fill out a Course Approval Form online or in the Registrar’s Office prior to their registration date.

How do students earn credit for an internship?

In most Departments, students may add an Internship to their schedule on myHill during Registration.  Internship information is available at the Career Services website.

If a student seeks credit for an internship, the following criteria must be met:

  1. Students must receive faculty approval in order to receive academic credit for an internship. Employers will provide a job description that will be reviewed and approved by the faculty member. In addition, students will be assigned academic work (weekly journal, paper, final project, presentation, etc.) that will be due at the conclusion of the internship.
  2. Students must work at least 8 hours/week for the entire 14 weeks of the semester in order to receive three credits, which is the equivalent of one class. The only exception to this policy is for Business majors. Business majors are required to work 12 hours/week for 14 weeks in order to receive three credits.
  3. Internship site supervisors will be asked to evaluate the student's performance mid-semester and at the end of the semester.

How do students register for a Directed Study?

To enroll in a Directed Study, Independent Research, or Thesis, students must receive prior approval from the appropriate faculty member within the Department and must submit a completed Directed Study or Independent Research  Application Form or Thesis Registration Form to the Registrar's Office by the last day of Add/Drop in order to have the course added to your schedule.

 When do students need to declare a major?

Students are encouraged to declare a major by the end of their sophomore year but they are required to declare a major before the start of their second semester in their junior year.

How do students declare a major?

Students can access the Major Declaration Form through their myAcademics tab in myHill. The procedural steps are as follows:

  1. Complete a Change or Declaration of Major Form available on myHill.
  2. Obtain the signature of the Department Chair or Program Director of the major you would like to add. (Note: If changing majors, students do not need the signature of the Department Chair of the old major.)
  3. Sign the form and return it to the Registrar's Office (Duffy 112) for processing.
  4. The student may also indicate a request for a new advisor on this form as well. If he or she does not indicate a preference for an advisor, an advisor for the new major will be assigned by the Office of Academic Services.

How do students double major?

Students may enroll in two Majors, subject to the approval of the respective Department Chairpersons or Program Directors. This option must be requested by submitting the Major Declaration or Change Form along with an approved "Double Major Four-Year Plan" normally prior to enrollment in the student's final 30 credits. In some cases students may need to enroll in more than 120 credits in order to satisfy the requirements of both Majors.

Certain combinations of double majors are not allowed. Please consult with the relevant Department Chair, Program Director or Academic Services & Advising when deciding to double major.

What is an interdisciplinary major/minor?

The Interdisciplinary Studies program is an alternative for students who seek to accomplish intellectual goals outside of a conventional major. For more information, please click here.

What are the requirements for credit overload?

Students may petition to take more than 17 or 18 credits (depending on their major - see the credit overload policy in the Hill Book) without charge by completing a Credit Overload Authorization Form available in the Registrar’s Office. First year students are not eligible.

Students must meet the following criteria:

  • Advisor approval
  • Minimum semester or cumulative grade point average of 3.3

The Director of Academic Services & Advising may approve exceptions to the above policies.

How does a course withdrawal for medical reasons work?

If course withdrawal is due to a medical reason, the College requires that the student provide primary medical documentation to the College’s Designated Health Care Professional - either the Director of Counseling Services or the Director of Health Services - prior to the approval of the course withdrawal. The documentation required will be determined on a case-by-case basis based on the nature of the medical reason presented.

In the case of a medical course withdrawal, the Director of OAS&A shall contact, based on the nature of the medical reason presented,  the Designated Health Care Professional, and inform them of the need for a medical withdrawal consultation. The Designated Health Care Professional will determine the documentation required, review the documentation, and provide written confirmation to the Director of OAS&A that the documentation presented is sufficient. Upon receipt of written confirmation of sufficiency, the Director of OAS&A may grant the course withdrawal.

How does a student take a course pass-fail?

The pass-fail option is open only to juniors and seniors, only in a course which is a free elective and which is taken in a department other than your major or minor department. Students must fill out a Pass/Fail Approval Form online or in the Registrar's Office during the first two weeks of the semester to apply for pass-fail option.

What is the minimum GPA requirement for a student to be in good academic standing?

To be in good academic standing, a student must earn a minimum GPA of 2.00 and maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.00.