Resources for DACA and International Students
According to the ADL website, the Deferred Action on Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program shields some young undocumented immigrants —who often arrived at a very young age in circumstances beyond their control—from deportation. In 2012, President Obama issued the DACA executive order after the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act did not pass in Congress several times. The young people impacted by DACA and the DREAM Act are often referred to as “Dreamers.”
International Student (socially referred to as F-1)
Students who are socially referred to as F-1 students are those who have been granted an F-1 Academic Student visa to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program. This terminology and distinction aids the institution in providing support structures unique to this portion of the student population.
Internationally Cultural Students
A student who was born outside of the U.S. or has spent a significant part of their developmental years outside of the U.S. culture.
NAFSA: Association of International Educators maintains an advocacy page where individuals can sign up for alerts, read suggestions related to submitting a comment on proposed regulator changes, find their elected officials, and more:
- Student Visa vs. Student Status: What is the Difference?
- Sexual Assault Awareness for International Students
- Being a Transgender International Student
- How to address mental health with International Students
- Understanding the mental health issues of international students on campus
- Exploring sense of belonging of Black International students on campus
- International students and experiences in the United States
- How international students of colour become Black: A story of whiteness in English higher education
- Five Black Voices on the Importance of Discussing Racism with International Students
- The Diversity Conversation Colleges Aren't Having
- Overview of DACA & F-1 International Student Policies and Trends
- Passcode to view: .IxZ57?D
- Immigration: Where Do We Stand Today?