Student support resources

The College has collected resources and information from Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, and Information Technology, as well as details on Spring 2020 deadlines and more.

Financial FAQs

Given that students’ educational processes will continue during this period of online instruction (i.e., students will still receive credit hours and grades), no tuition refunds or reimbursements will be offered.

Refunds and credits have been calculated on a prorated basis, with a credit of 46% of the semester’s room charge, totaling $2,365. This equates to the time period between March 16th and May 8th. 

Regarding meal plans, all unused dollars remaining on students’ spring balances will be refunded in their entirety. 

Please know that students who were approved to remain on campus during all or part of this time period will have their refunds adjusted accordingly. In addition, students who received scholarships and/or institutional funding to cover their housing and meal plan costs are not eligible to receive a credit or refund.

Seniors who have applied for graduation will receive a cash refund, net any outstanding account balance.

Continuing students will receive a credit on their account which will first be applied to any outstanding balance. Any credit balance can be applied to either upcoming summer classes or toward the fall semester balance.

In addition, if a case refund is needed, students should apply through MyHill on the Student Finance page. Please allow up to two weeks from the date of the refund request for a check to be mailed.

Senior refunds checks were mailed to permanent legal home addresses on April 30th. A second check with an additional amount will go out on May 21st. Credits will be posted to continuing students on May 15th.

Room Refund

The spring semester charge for room is $5,140. The date the College announced remote learning, March 16th, through the last day of final exams, May 8th, constitutes 46% of the semester. The room rate, at that percentage, totals $2,365.

Resident Meal Plan Refund

The direct cost of a student meal plan is $1,350. The refund amount for this portion is individualized, based solely on the remaining balance of each student’s meal plan.

Board Overhead Refund

The spring semester charge for board overhead is $1,770. This charge covers fixed costs that cannot be refunded on a prorated basis, as the contracts and personnel costs they cover were not decreased due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

It depends on the program, as the College’s contractual agreement with each program host site is unique, including any parameters around refunds. If a program’s agreement does not allow for refunds to the College and the program does not agree to an exception that will extend to students enrolled in the program.

If the College is provided refunds, the amount issued to an eligible student’s account will be specific to each program and may take some additional time to process. Refund calculations will take into account the program’s total cost less any applicable financial aid or scholarships.

The process of issuing refunds requires posting a credit to a student's account. Students who will not be enrolled at Stonehill for the fall semester, in accordance with data received from the Registrar's Office, will be issued a cash refund in late May.

Course Withdrawal

If you withdraw from a course, a W will be on your transcript instead of a traditional grade.

Withdrawing from a course can have significant consequences [e.g., credits completed vs. attempted can impact financial aid, full-time vs. part-time status (12 credits is needed to remain full-time), residency requires full-time status, athletic eligibility, etc.]. Before proceeding with the process to withdraw from a class to make sure that you understand the advantages, disadvantages, and potential consequences of withdrawing from a course, please consult your financial aid counselor (; 508-565-1088), and a professional advisor in the Office of Academic Services & Advising (; 508-565-1306).

Send an email to the professor letting them know that you are intending to withdraw from the course. Then forward the reply from the professor and the completed Course Withdrawal Form (available in myHill > Students > Academics > Registration Forms) to the Office of Academic Services & Advising.

The last day of classes, Wednesday, April 29, is the deadline for submitting the Course Withdrawal Form to the Office of Academic Services & Advising.

Taking Courses for Pass/Fail

A professor is not notified when a course is taken as Pass/Fail. The professor submits the letter grade earned in the course by the student to the Registrar’s Office. If the letter grade earned is a D or higher, then the grade of P is entered on the transcript. If the letter grade earned is an F, then the grade of F is entered on the transcript.

A grade of P will not count towards your GPA calculation. A grade of F will count towards your GPA calculation.

The last day of classes, Wednesday, April 29, is the deadline for submitting the Pass/Fail Request Form to the Registrar’s Office.

Before you decide to take a course for Pass/Fail, check with your academic advisor to make sure that you understand the advantages and disadvantages of taking a course for Pass/Fail.

Students should consult with their academic advisor before making the decision to take a course Pass/Fail. In those cases where a course grade of a C- or better is necessary for advancement, the student must continue in that course for a letter grade. Courses offered this semester that require a letter grade for advancement include: BIO 101, BUS 203, CHM 113, CHM 221, CHM232, CHM 244, and MTH 126.

Merit scholarship and other sources of financial aid renewal will continue based on a calculated GPA and therefore changing to Pass/Fail will not impact renewal. Students still need to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirement. Failure to do so would result in loss of aid, including merit scholarships. For more information on the Standards of Academic Progress for Financial Aid Recipients, visit the Financial Aid FAQs webpage.

Before deciding to take a course for Pass/Fail, you should consult with your academic advisor or the licensure officer/advisor in your major program. Many graduate programs will not accept undergraduate courses to count in their program if the course was taken Pass/Fail.

Graduate and professional school admissions committees are looking at the whole picture, not just one grade or set of grades.  What’s more, they welcome addenda explaining anomalies in your academic record. A brief explanation of the circumstances will suffice to allay any concerns they might have. This is true whether you’re applying this year or several years from now with perhaps an odd-looking Spring 2020 semester. And of course, many applicants in the future will have odd-looking Spring 2020 semesters on their transcripts. Before taking a class for Pass/Fail, students should consult with their academic advisor, the Pre-Health Advisor, Andrew Leahy (, the Pre-Law Advisor, Professor Rob Rodgers (, and for CPA Licensure requirements, Alex Yen (

For this semester only, you can Pass/Fail an Honors course and still be eligible to graduate as a Moreau Honors Scholar.

To be eligible for Dean’s List, you must earn a semester’s GPA of at least 3.50 (your semester’s GPA will be based only on the courses for which you earn traditional letter grades), you must be carrying at least 12 credits, nine (9) credits must be traditionally graded, and you must not have withdrawn from any classes after the Add/Drop period.

Latin honors awarded at graduation is determined by a student’s cumulative GPA (i.e., 3.50 – 3.69 for Cum Laude; Magna; 3.70 – 3.89 for Cum Laude; 3.90 – 4.00 for Summa Cum Laude), which is based only on the courses in which traditional letter grades were earned.

Courses taken as Pass/Fail and for which you earn a P can be repeated for a letter grade; courses taken as Pass/Fail for which you earn an F can be repeated for a letter grade or as Pass/Fail.

Submit the Pass/Fail Request Form – Spring 2020, which is available in myHill > Students > Academics > Registration Forms.

  1. All undergraduate students can designate courses as Pass/Fail this semester.
  2. If you are taking 15 or more credits this semester, you can take three (3) classes Pass/Fail.
  3. If you’re taking fewer than 15 credits, you can take two (2) classes Pass/Fail.
  4. You can take most classes Pass/Fail this semester, including general education courses and courses for your major and minor.
  5. If you are taking a course that is part of a Capstone sequence, you should consult with your academic advisor or department chair or program director prior to taking the course for Pass/Fail.
  6. Undergraduate courses taken Pass/Fail this semester will not count towards the College’s maximum four-course limit on the total courses that can be taken Pass/Fail for credit towards a degree.
  7. An undergraduate student who earns a grade of D or higher will receive a grade of Pass for the course.
  8. A grade of Pass will not count towards the GPA calculation; a Failing grade will count towards the GPA calculation.
  9. If you are taking a class Pass/Fail, you must still fulfill many of the requirements for the class. A professor is not notified when a student takes a course for Pass/Fail. You are evaluated on all requirements of the course and at the end of the semester the professor submits the letter grade you earned to the Registrar’s Office. If the letter grade earned is a D or higher, then the grade of P is entered on your transcript. If the letter grade earned is an F, then the grade of F is entered on the transcript.

The College remains committed to your academic progress and well-being, and our faculty as well as the staff in the Office of Academic Services & Advising (; 508-565-1306) are here to support you in your decision-making process.

The above Interim Policies are different from our regular policies, and they reflect the special circumstances we are operating under this semester. They take effect immediately and are in effect for the Spring 2020 semester only. Any conflict between the Interim Policies that are outlined above, and existing policies will be construed in favor of the Interim Policies. These Interim Policies are subject to change in order to comply with any subsequent interim guidance or mandates by the government.

Residence Life FAQs

Move out will take place by appointment between Wednesday, May 20th and Tuesday, May 26th. More details can be found in the May 18th Residence Life email.

We ask that ALL residential students who have fully moved out of their room, to fill out the express check out form on My Hill. This will help us plan appropriately for move-out procedures when the time comes.

Students can schedule an appointment to move-out on the Residence Life page. Each residential area has a set number of appointments available at a given time. This protocol is in place to promote social distancing and to ensure safety of our community.

Please see the Financial FAQ section above.

Additional Recent FAQs

All support offices will remain open and available to students during normal business hours (8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)

On our Student Support Resources page, you can find details on how many of the offices below are working to meet remotely with students while campus is closed to all but essential personnel.

Please call or email these offices if you need assistance.