In recognition of outstanding academic achievement, Andrea Duarte ’15 has been named the 2015 Outstanding Student in French by the Stonehill College Department of Foreign Languages and earned the 2015 Robert E. Reardon Award as a top graduating student in the Political Science & International Studies Department.
Duarte, a foreign languages and political science double major from Taunton, Massachusetts, has demonstrated a commitment to scholarship that exemplifies the habits of mind that Stonehill seeks to help students cultivate.
While participating in the Stonehill Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) in the summer of 2013, Duarte conducted a research project with Professor Kirk Buckman exploring the development of Brazilian democracy through the lens of its political economy. Together they presented their findings at the International Studies Association Northeast Conference in Providence, Rhode Island.
Duarte hopes to combine her research skills and passion for social justice and international development into a career in foreign policy.
Selected Activities and Achievements
- Inducted into the Sigma Iota Rho Honor Society (international studies)
- Inducted into the Pi Sigma Alpha Honor Society (political science)
- Studied French language and culture at the University of Stendhal in Grenoble, France (Spring 2014)
- Co-president of Stonehill College Model U.N. (2014-2015)
- Member of the Stonehill College Concert Band and Orchestra (Fall 2011 – Fall 2013)
- Participated in a H.O.P.E. service immersion trip to New Mexico (Winter 2015)
- Mission intern at Holy Cross Family Ministries