First Year Library Resources
Welcome Skyhawks! We are very happy to see students streaming into the building and have enjoyed the chance to meet so many of you. A special welcome to our first-year students and those members of the sophomore class who studied remotely last year. We think you will find the library a comfortable and welcoming space, whether you are looking for a quiet spot to study, need a place where you and your classmates can rehearse a group presentation, or just want to grab a coffee with friends. Look around, we are confident you will find your “spot”.
We are also eager for you to discover all we have to offer in addition to the traditional library services and resources you will need for your classes. If you haven’t explored MacPhaidin Library yet, you might be surprised at some of the items you find on our shelves, such as:
- The Library of Things – Didn’t bring your game console to school? Check out one of ours. Looking for something to do with your roommates? Borrow our corn hole or spike ball sets. These items and more can be found in our Library of Things. Located on the first floor of the library across from Ace’s Place, the library of things includes tech items, a variety of gaming consoles, musical instruments, crafting supplies, board games, and more. All items may be checked out at The Desk for one week.
- Leisure Reading Collection – Located next to the Library of Things, the Leisure Reading Collection features a wide array of literary fiction, romance, biography, fantasy, mystery, and horror books. Leisure Reading books may be borrowed for 30 days with one, 15-day renewal.
College Success Books and eBooks in our Collection
The print books and eBook listed below might help you with organization, productivity, self-care, and other facets of navigating college life.
- How to Succeed in College and Beyond: The Art of Learning This book is full of practical advice on matters ranging from selecting courses, working with your advisor, finding a mentor, and balancing academic and extracurricular activities. This is an eBook, which you can access online at any time. To do so, just click on the title above to see the book’s record. Then, click on the “access online book” link.
- Fifty Things I Wish Someone Would Have Told Me About College: Straight Talk for First-Generation College Students from First Generation College Graduates This book covers a host of topics including financial aid, working with your professors, choosing a major, and more. Click on the title of this book above for the full record and the book’s call number.
- The Secrets of College Success - This eBook has hundreds of straightforward tips on subjects including study skills, time management, course selection and stress reduction.
College Eating (Cookbooks in our Collection)
Whether you live in a dorm, off campus, or commute from home, you’ve got to eat. The following books might help you find some quick and easy recipes you can whip up from wherever.
- PETA’s Vegan College Cookbook: 275 Easy, Cheap and Delicious Recipes to Keep You Vegan at School
- College Vegetarian Cooking: Feed Yourself and Your Friends
- The Healthy College Cookbook: Quick, Easy, and Cheap
Enjoy exploring what we have to offer!