Economics Internships & Opportunities
Economics students are encouraged to supplement their studies with work in the field. Many have performed research and completed internships locally, around the United States and overseas, providing opportunities to grow as leaders, build professional networks and hone skills that will serve them well throughout their careers.
Stonehill students have the opportunity to perform research through Stonehill's Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) as well as present on their work at major conferences.
The Stonehill Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) is an opportunity for students who have completed their first year at Stonehill to perform significant, publishable, full-time research under the guidance of and in collaboration with an experienced faculty researcher.
- Economics majors Erica Cordatos ‘19 and Daniel Lavigne ‘18 completed a semester-long internship in Yerevan, Armenia. Erica and Dan worked with Professor Piyush Chandra on their respective projects “Armenian Monopolies in a Global Context: A Comparative Analysis” and “Economic Stabilization: The Agricultural Sector and Poverty Reduction in Armenia”, and presented at a global security studies conference, co-hosted by Eurasia International University, Eurasia Partnership Foundation and Stonehill College.
- Economics major Joanna Zecha ’14 worked with Linzy Brekke-Aloise, associate professor of History, on “Quantifying Early American Consumer Culture: Wardrobes and Wealth in Three Massachusetts Counties, 1780-1840.”
- Economics major Alexis Trabucchi ’16 worked with Robert Rosenthal, professor of economics, on “Compensating the Wrongly Accused: Inequality Beyond Injustice” and presented her project at an annual conference of the Eastern Economics Association.
Stonehill economics students are consistently invited by the Eastern Economics Association to present their papers from the Capstone Seminar in Economic Research.
- Samuel Neil ’20: The Relationship between Unemployment Rates and Violent & Property Crime Metrics
- Abigail Russo ’20: The Effects of Air Pollution on Academic Achievement: A Study of California Schools
- Ann Furbush ‘18: “The Effects of Paternity Leave on Women’s Labor Market Outcomes”. Ann’s paper was accepted for and published in the research journal Issues in Political Economy.
- Celine DeSantis ‘18: “Can Google Trends Predict Stock Market Volatility?”
- Siobhan McAlister ‘16: “Hey Lady, You Look Employable! Analysis of Street Harassment and Women’s Unemployment Using Google Trends”
- Mounia El-Arar ‘16: “The Impact of the Foreign-Born Population on the United States Economy”
- Daniel Bonneau ‘16: “Impact of Crime Rates in Center Cities on Neighboring Communities”
Places where Stonehill students have recently interned include:
- Brown Brothers Harriman
- Children’s Hospital Trust
- Eastern Bank
- Fidelity Investments
- Goldman Sachs
- J.P. Morgan
- Kiva (Microcredit Nonprofit)
- Loomis Sayles and Company
- Massachusetts Office of Business Development
- Merrill Lynch
- Morgan Stanley
- Pioneer Institute
- Stonehill Center for Nonprofit Management
Our Economics majors have attended and presented at meetings and seminars of professional associations such as:
- The Eastern Economic Association
- The Association of Private Enterprise Education
- The Foundation for Economic Education
Career Development Resources for Students
The Stonehill Career Development Center offers extensive assistance to students pursuing employment, advanced studies or postgraduate service opportunities. By completing internships and utilizing mentors, students are empowered to build lifelong career management skills.
- Courses that incorporate Bloomberg Professional real time and historical data, widely used in financial market trading.
- Extensive on-campus recruiting program for internships and entry-level jobs.
- Annual career fairs and graduate school information sessions.
- Externships and internships in New York; Washington, D.C.; and Los Angeles (weeklong and semesterlong programs).
- Various industry-specific career lunches – government, nonprofits, sustainability, retail management and insurance.
- Annual Economics Career Night
- BNY Mellon
- Cambridge Associates
Private Investment Analyst
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- GTECH Corporation
Sr. Director Brand Licensing & Marketing
- High Street Equity Advisors LLC
Senior Managing Partner
- National Association of Securities Dealers
Senior Compliance Examiner
- New York City Department of Small Business Services
Training Partnership Manager
- Northwestern Mutual
Director of Operations
- TD Bank N.A.