Criteria and Procedures
A bulk mailing consists of 200 or more pieces of mail or 50 pounds of mail. All pieces must be identical in size and texture. They must be faced and bundled according to zip code.
- If your department has a large mailing (domestic mail only) that qualifies as "bulk mail", it may be processed under the Stonehill Mailing Permit. There is certain criteria and restrictions that must be adhered to and the following procedure should be followed:
- Only "College Related" material is to be mailed under Permit #8. This permit is not be shared, rented, or lent to any other organization. Joint ventures for advertising or profit entitities is strictly prohibited.
- To qualify for the non-profit bulk rate, the "Non Profit" indicia must be present in the upper right hand corner of each mailing piece.
- Due to the fact the mailing permit is under Stonehill College's name, the USPS requires the first line of the senders address on each piece of mail to read "Stonehill College."
- Mailings should be prepared, counted, zip code sorted and bundled by the department doing the mailing.
A BUNDLE IS 10 OR MORE PIECES THAT MEET THE SORTATION QUALIFICATIONS BELOW:
- If 10 or more pieces have the same 5 digit zip code, they are bundled (2 rubber bands-1 horizontal and 1 vertical) and have a red letter "5" sticker is applied to the top piece of the bundle.
- If this qualification is not possible, bundle the pieces with the same first 3 zip code digits and mark accordingly with a green sticker.
- If neither of these qualifications can be met, the list of "ADC" (Area Distribution Center) has a range of zip codes that they service. Any pieces that fall into these areas are to bundled with an "A" sticker which will indicate that these pieces are going to the same ADC
- All remaining pieces that cannot be sorted by previous standards are to be bundled with an "X" sticker.
Preparing for Mail House Distribution
Prior to your mailing being sent a Mail House, please forward a copy of the service request to Mail Services. This is imperative to ensure that the College Permit #8 has sufficient funds available for your mailing. In addition, the Mailing House must furnish a copy of the Bulk Mailing Form # 3602 to Mail Services for our records. This form will be used to reconcile the bulk mail account with the USPS.