Health Services is an appointment-based medical office designed to manage acute episodic health problems and the flare up of chronic problems of full-time Stonehill College undergraduate students. We are staffed by nurse practitioners, physician assistants, a part-time physician, a health educator and an office manager who are dedicated to one objective: helping students maintain their health so that they can continue their education. Student fees cover the cost of visits to the service. The hours of service are Monday – Friday 8:30 AM -4:30 PM.

Call Health Services at 508-565-1307 for assistance. The receptionist will give the student an appointment to be evaluated by a nurse practitioner, physician assistant or physician. If your student is seriously ill, we might refer them to the hospital or an off-campus specialist.

Same day appointments are almost always available. Students should call early in the day if possible. We strive to provide the services students need at their convenience. The average wait time can be 10 -15 minutes during high volume times.

If students are over age 18, it means that we cannot tell you about their health care unless we have written permission from them. If your child tells you about an illness, please encourage your student to sign a release if you want more information. We will clarify any existing information you have.  We cannot provide you with additional information without your child's written permission.

Students who arrive at Stonehill College with prescription medications keep those medications with them in their residence hall rooms. Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants in Massachusetts practice in the expanded role and have prescriptive privileges. If a student is seen in Health Services and needs a medication, it will be prescribed here. The closest pharmacy is the CVS located at 555 Washington Street, Easton, MA, 02357 (less than a 1 mile drive from campus). Their telephone number is 508-238-3476.

Believe it or not, many students do not know how to measure their own temperatures. One of the first questions a student will be asked when they come to Health Services with an infection is what their temperature is. The usual response is either “I do not have a thermometer” or "I don’t know how to take my temperature".

Each student should come with some knowledge of how you treated their minor medical problems before you took them to a physician. Hydration is so very important. If you can set the stage, we will stress it continually. There are a few basic health care supplies and equipment you might wish to send.

Basic Health Care Supplies Students Should Bring to Campus:

  • First aid kit containing:
    • Non-prescription pain relievers: ibuprofen and Tylenol
    • Prescription medications in original packaging, including as needed prescriptions, like inhalers and nebulizers
    • Antihistamines: Claritin or Zyrtec 
    • Cough Relief: Mucinex (cough expectorant) and Delsym (cough suppressant)
    • Cold Relief: nasal decongestant 
    • Topical antibiotic cream such as Bacitracin
    • Band-Aids 
    • Sunscreen
    • Bug spray with DEET
    • Hand sanitizer
    • Clorox wipes 
    • Instant soup mix
    • Gatorade or other electrolyte beverages
  • Digital thermometer 
  • Chemical cold pack to keep in freezer to reduce swelling
  • Chemical warm pack to heat in microwave for muscle ache
  • Any other home remedy that does not violate Residence Life Policies

Please refer to the After Hours Care page for complete details.

Massachusetts law requires health insurance for every college student taking 9 or more credits. Students must participate in either a qualifying student health insurance program or a private health insurance plan with comparable coverage.

We strongly recommend that you purchase the student insurance if you are enrolled in an out of area HMO (even MA) or if you have a large deductible on your private insurance. Having school insurance gives us more options for local referrals and gives you peace of mind. Also, the plan will cover your child when they are on vacation.

Students do not have to be enrolled in the student insurance to use the Health Services. We do not charge for routine office visits. However, any laboratory tests or x-rays ordered are billed to the student's health insurance and you need to be sure your insurance will pay.

Please refer to the Student Health Insurance page for complete details.

If your child has an emergency treatment plan for a medical condition written by their medical provider, the student should inform Health Services of this plan by uploading the plan to the student patient portal so that the office has it available in the student’s Medical Record in case of emergency while on campus. If your child utilizes any medications in the acute setting in case of emergency for any medical condition, they should keep the medication for acute use, as directed, on campus.

If you have additional information to share regarding your child's chronic health condition, emergency medical plan, or a specific concern, please call us. We would encourage you to have your child call us directly to arrange an appointment to discuss further. We always tell a student when a parent has called because we think it is important to do so.  

Health Services provides acute episodic health care, including health education. Our professional staff can answer questions, examine or test on site, counsel on diet and weight management, or refer to an outside specialist if needed.

If you think that there is something serious going on or you have important information to share, please call us. We would encourage you to have your child call us directly to arrange an appointment. We always tell a student when a parent has called because we think it is important to do so.

Sometimes we make a referral to the Counseling Services on campus when a student is psychologically stressed, or students can call the Counseling Center directly at 508-565-1331.   There is also an on-campus Dietitian who can be reached at 508-565-1879 if your student needs some support around dietary needs due to such issues as food allergies, celiac disease, lactose intolerance, or various medical issues. 

Yes. We would make an assessment and then order the appropriate lab tests. For student convenience we also will draw blood for tests ordered by outside providers. In these cases Health Services would provide phlebotomy services and the outside provider would be managing the health concern. We send all blood tests to Quest Laboratory in Brockton, who will then bill your insurance.

No, our medical office does not administer allergy injections and allergy injections cannot be administered in Health Services. While we understand the significance of allergy treatment and management, we do not provide this specific service. We recommend that individuals who require allergy injections consult their primary care physicians or allergists for proper guidance and treatment options. They may be able to recommend suitable healthcare providers or clinics that specialize in administering allergy injections.

Please see the following names of a few local medical practices that are able to administer allergy injections:

NOTE: We are in the process of converting older materials on this page to ensure accessibility.  If you are unable to access a document during this process, please contact this page’s web content manager by email at and they will assist you.