Government Funded Gift Aid
We participate in federal scholarship and grant programs, including those authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act, Massachusetts grant programs, and reciprocal programs between the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and many other states.
Federal Pell Grant
- Eligibility is based on exceptional financial need and requires no repayment.
- Amounts vary, based on an index established by Congress.
- Pell Grant funds may be credited to your account, half in each semester, only after your financial aid application and enrollment status have been verified.
- The Pell Grant amount indicated remains an estimate until funds have actually been received from the federal government.
- The FAFSA is the annual application for the Pell Grant.
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
- This gift aid is awarded on the basis of exceptional need and the availability of federal fund allocation to the college.
- FSEOG funds are awarded primarily to Pell Grant recipients; eligibility is determined each year based on exceptional financial need.
- Funded by the government and the College; administered by the College.
- The FAFSA is the annual application for FSEOG.
Federal TEACH Grant
- Awarded to students who are completing or who plan to complete coursework that is required to begin a career in teaching, and who agree to teach full-time for at least four years as a highly qualified teacher, at a school serving low-income students, and in a federally defined high need field.
- The four years of teaching must be completed within eight years after the student completes or otherwise ceases to be enrolled in the program for which the student received a TEACH Grant.
- Students are required to sign an Agreement to Serve (ATS) each year of grant receipt, which explains this service obligation.
- If the requirements put forth in the ATS are not met, the grant will be converted into a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan.
- For additional information regarding the TEACH Grant and the requirements of this program, please click here.
Gilbert Matching Scholarship Grant
- Funded by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and awarded by the College to needy full-time students who are residents of the Commonwealth.
- Awards are redetermined annually, conditional upon state funding levels and verification of eligibility based on each year’s financial aid application (FAFSA).
- Need-based grant for full-time students who are residents of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Funded by the Commonwealth and administered by the Massachusetts Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA).
- The amount of the MassGrant shown on your award letter is an estimate based on an analysis of eligibility criteria provided to the College by OSFA; it is subject to the availability of funds, verification of the data you provided on your application, and your submission of all documentation requested by the College and/or the Commonwealth.
Other State Scholarships
- Your state agency will notify you directly of your tentative award status.
- Participating states include Pennsylvania and Vermont.
- You may deduct a non-Massachusetts state scholarship from your bill if you provide a copy of your official notification, but only with the understanding that the student is responsible for any balance due if the state subsequently revokes or adjusts the award.
- To find out more information about your state’s financial aid programs, please visit the following websites: