Donated to Stonehill College by real estate developer, Arnold Tofias, in 1973, The Arnold B. Tofias Industrial Archives are the records, artifacts and papers of 19th and 20th century Ames enterprises, in particular the O. Ames Company, manufacturers of shovels. In addition to 783 shovels, the collection includes over 1,500 linear ft. of manuscript material.

Identifying Shovels

Stonehill College Archives staff do not identify, appraise, or date shovels.  For assistance in identifying shovels this copy of a 1926 catalog from the Ames Shovel and Tool Company may be helpful.


Tours of the Ames Shovel Collection are accessible by appointment only. Appointments for tours should be scheduled at least two weeks in advance. To schedule a tour please email ncasper@stonehill.edu.

Requests for information can be submitted via email to the Director of Archives and Historical Collections, Nicole Casper at ncasper@stonehill.edu or 508-565-1121.

Martin Institute – 2nd floor, room 208

The Archives and Historical Collections Department hosts collections that document the history of Stonehill, Southeastern Massachusetts, and/or support the mission of the College.