Hegarty Award Citation for Associate Professor John Golden
Stonehill College is proud to bestow the Louise F. Hegarty Award for Excellence in Teaching on John J. Golden, Associate Professor of German.
The Louise F. Hegarty Award for Excellence in Teaching is given each year to a full-time faculty member whose teaching has had a marked influence on the lives of Stonehill students. The Committee on Excellence in Teaching, representing the Students, Faculty, and the Alumni Council, selects the outstanding teacher from those nominated by students and faculty members. The recipient stands as a symbol of the entire faculty's commitment to academic excellence. At Convocation 2012, Stonehill College is proud to bestow the Hegarty Award on Professor John Golden.
Professor Golden's commitment to Stonehill's mission is abundantly clear in the words of those who nominated him. We will let them speak for themselves.
- Every morning I show up at German; no matter how bleak the day or how stressful the week, Professor Golden puts a smile on my face. I have learned more German in two semesters than I thought I was capable of in a lifetime, and I have Professor Golden to thank for that!
- I have been in two of his German courses and experienced his out-of-theordinary teaching techniques, his dedication to his students, and his love of teaching. Professor Golden gets all his students to contribute to the class conversations in a way that feels like talking amongst equals.
- I can personally attest to ... his visibly positive and enthusiastic approach to teaching and learning. He is a great motivator, upbeat, and readily available to students and fellow teachers. It is not uncommon to find him in his office preparing his courses on Sundays. The card listing his office hours this semester reads: "If I'm not in class, I'm here from about 9.30 -6.00!"
- There is a Face book group dedicated to this man with over 100 students in it It is titled: "Professor Golden is the Man-woohooo!" I don't know of any other professor with a fan club. The description reads: "For all those who have known the wonder, the merriment, and the laughter of John Golden."
- Three days a week I leave Duffy 118 just as John Golden is entering ...