Nicholas L. Block
Associate Professor of Biology
Nicholas Block is an associate professor of biology. His research interests include the speciation and hybridization of birds in Madagascar, as well as dragonflies, butterflies and fish in New England; biodiversity inventories; and the effects of climate change on species diversity, phenology, and distribution. His work has been featured in publications like Systematic & Applied Acarology and Ecology and Evolution.
Prior to joining the Department of Biology at Stonehill College, Block served as a visiting assistant professor at Bucknell University. Block earned a bachelor’s degree from Texas A&M University and a Ph.D. from University of Chicago.
- B.S., Wildlife & Fisheries Science, Texas A&M University
- Ph.D. Evolutionary, Biology, University of Chicago
- Biological Principles I
- Biological Principles II
Selected Publications, Articles & Presentations
- Porter, O., N.L. Block, and P.F.D. Boesman. 2021. Greenish Elaenia (Myiopagis viridicata), version 2.0. In Birds of the World (T. S. Schulenberg, S. M. Billerman, and B. K. Keeney, Editors). Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, USA. https://doi.org/10.2173/bow.greela.02
- Mironov, S.V., P.B. Klimov, N.L. Block, and B.M. OConnor. 2020. Feather mites of the new genus Bernierinyssus gen. n. (Acariformes: Pteronyssidae) from endemic Malagasy warblers (Passeriformes: Bernieridae)—a lineage showing symbiotic cospeciation with their avian hosts. Systematic & Applied Acarology 25: 1765–1802.
- Tercero, C., I. Weber, E. van den Berghe, N. Block, and J.-M. Maes. 2020. Heraclides ornythion ornythion, Heraclides paeon thrason y Neographium thyastes panamensis (Lepidoptera: Papilionidae) reportes nuevos para la fauna de Nicaragua. Revista Nicaragüense de Entomología 212: 1–20.
- Fitzgibbon, D.*, and N.L. Block. 2018. Blue-black Grosbeak (Cyanoloxia cyanoides), version 1.0. In Birds of the World (T. S. Schulenberg, Editor). Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, USA. https://doi.org/10.2173/bow.bubgro1.01
- Hilbie, C.*, and N.L. Block. 2018. Collared Redstart (Myioborus torquatus), version 1.0. In Birds of the World (T. S. Schulenberg, Editor). Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, USA. https://doi.org/10.2173/bow.colred1.01
- Block, N.L., S.G. Goodman, S.J. Hackett, J.M. Bates, and M.J. Raherilalao. 2015. Potential merger of ancient lineages in a passerine bird discovered based on evidence from host-specific ectoparasites. Ecology and Evolution 5: 3743–3755.
- Block, N.L. 2015. An introduction to understanding phylogenies and their effects on taxonomy. Birder’s Guide 27(3): 16–19.
- Goodman, S.G., M.J. Raherilalao, and N.L. Block. 2011. Patterns of morphological and genetic variation in the Mentocrex kioloides complex (Aves: Gruiformes: Rallidae) from Madagascar, with the description of a new species. Zootaxa 2776: 49–60.
- Block, N.L. 2009. Swifts and Hummingbirds. In American Museum of Natural History Birds of North America (F. Vuilleumier, Editor). DK Publishing, New York.