After graduation from Stonehill in 1970, Professor Gariepy completed his seminary studies at the University of Notre Dame and a year of pastoral ministry in Student Affairs and Campus Ministry at Stonehill. After his ordination to the priesthood in 1974, he returned to Notre Dame to study the history and philosophy of science; while there he was also Assistant Rector in Flanner Tower.
In 1976, he began doctoral studies at Yale University in the History of Science and Medicine; became in 1980 the residential college dean of Saybrook College, one of Yale University’s residential colleges; and began that year a five-year term on Stonehill College’s Board of Trustees.
He returned to Stonehill in 1985. For many years he directed the College’s Program in the History and Philosophy of Science and resided in O’Hara Hall and Notre Dame du Lac. He is a member of the College’s Board of Incorporators and Board of Fellows. He has served as the local religious superior of the Holy Cross community in Easton. From 2008 to 2017 he chaired the Department of Healthcare Administration. In 2014 he received the Faculty Service Award.
Prof. Gariepy is completing a study of John F. Fulton, M.D., a neurophysiologist and historian of medicine at the Yale University School of Medicine from 1929 until 1960. This research is currently focused on the role Fulton’s laboratory played in the development of the frontal lobotomy, the creation mythology that arose around that event, and the purposes for which some physiologists or historians have used that myth.
- Ph.D., Yale University, History of Science and Medicine, 1990
- M.Phil., Yale University, History of Science and Medicine, 1978
- M.A., University of Notre Dame, Philosophy of Science, 1976
- M.Th., University of Notre Dame, Theology, 1973
- B.A., Stonehill College, History, 1970
- Stonehill College Board of Incorporators
- Stonehill College Board of Fellows
- Stonehill College Institutional Review Board
- Stonehill College Career Advisory Committee
- Beaumont Medical Club, President (2006-2008)
- Association of University Programs in Healthcare Administration (AUPHA)
- American Association for the History of Medicine
- AIDS & Emerging Infections
- Healthcare Policy and Politics
- Computers in Healthcare Administration