Student Visa FAQs

The F-1 Student Visa. Once an international student is accepted and demonstrated that they have both the necessary English proficiency to do college level work and that they have the financial resources to pay for their educational and living expenses, the Stonehill Admission Office will send them the I-20 form. They will then complete the DS-160 visa application form and make an appointment with the US Embassy or Consulate in their country. We strongly encourage all international students to read more about the F-1 Visa process on both the EducationUSA website and Study in the States; both are official sources of information from the US State Department and the Department of Homeland Security 

International students are not allowed to enter the United Sates on a tourist (B-2) visa when arriving to begin their studies. It is not legal to study in a degree program on a tourist visa. Students who are currently in the United States on an F-2 or B-2 visa will be required to change to an F-1 visa.

Financial Aid FAQs

Stonehill College does not provide need-based financial assistance to international students. 

International students must be able to finance all educational expenses, and proof of this ability to pay is required before the Certification of Eligibility for a student visa (the SEVIS I-20 form) is issued to the student. Please note that some embassy officials will want to verify students’ financial certification. Students should obtain original copies (with original signatures) of any financial sponsorship affadavits, Stonehill’s admission and merit scholarship award letters, and bank statements. Retain copies of all of these documents in case they are needed for obtaining your student visa.

Yes. Stonehill competes in the NEC Conference, which is an NCAA Division I conference. This means that the College can award a limited number of athletic scholarships. The number of scholarships and the amount of these scholarships is determined by the coaches for each sport in consultation with our athletic department and the office of Student Financial Assistance. For information related to athletic scholarships, please contact the coaching staff directly. Their contact information can be found on Stonehill's athletics website:

Yes. After the first semester of attendance at the college, international students can apply for on-campus employment. Typically, these jobs can be up to 20 hours a week while school is in session, and up to 35 hours per week over the summer and during holiday breaks. Additional authorization is required for off-campus employment as outlined by F-1 visa regulations. The pay is at or slightly above the minimum wage in the state of Massachusetts. Most students who work at Stonehill use this money for personal expenses.

On an F-1 visa, after the first year, an international student can work off campus at an internship if it relates to their major. Employment hours may be limited based on F-1 visa regulations.

Campus Life FAQs

At this time Stonehill does not have as many international students as we would like, but we have increased our international recruitment efforts over the past several years. We are proud to have several students who are dual-citizens or who have Permanent Resident status, and many students have also attended high school or lived in other countries before attending Stonehill. 

Yes. Stonehill will make arrangements for those international students who can’t go home during school vacations or breaks. Sometimes our dining services will be closed during the longer breaks and students will have to prepare their own meals or eat off campus.

Stonehill has an office of Health Services which is open from 8:30 am-4:30 pm. Stonehill student fees cover the cost of visits to the Health Services office. Insurance is necessary for some laboratory tests ordered at Health Services, diagnostic studies, local walk-in clinics, ambulance transportation, emergency room visits and specialty medical provider referrals.

Stonehill College requires all international students to purchase the Stonehill Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) and will include the cost of this insurance in the each student's bill. The Student Health Insurance Plan is underwritten by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (BCBS) and managed by Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk, which is located in Quincy, Massachusetts. 

Contact Information

John W. Pepin

John W. Pepin

Senior Associate Dean of Admission, International Recruitment