After graduation from Stonehill in 1970, Professor Gariepy completed his seminary studies at the University of Notre Dame and a year of pastoral ministry in Student Affairs at Stonehill. He returned to Notre Dame in 1974 to study the history and philosophy of science; while there he was also Assistant Rector in Flanner Tower.
In 1976, he began doctoral studies at Yale University, became in 1980 the residential college dean of Saybrook College, one of Yale University’s twelve residential colleges, and began that year a five-year term on Stonehill’s Board of Trustees.
He returned to Stonehill in 1985; for many years he directed the College’s Program in the History and Philosophy of Science and resided in O’Hara Hall and Notre Dame du Lac. Recently, he served as the local religious superior of the Holy Cross community in Easton. In 2008 he became Chair of theDepartment of Healthcare Administration.
Prof. Gariepy is completing a study of John F. Fulton, M.D., a neurophysiologist and historian of medicine at the Yale School of Medicine from 1929 until 1960. This research is currently focused on the role Fulton’s laboratory played in the development of the frontal lobotomy, the creation mythology that arose around that event, and the purposes for which some physiologists or historians have used that myth.
He is becoming more interested in the history of epidemiology and plans to prepare teaching modules that use problems in epidemiology to introduce undergraduates to history, questions of critical thinking, and the scientific method.
- Ph.D., Yale University, History of Science and Medicine, 1990
- M.Phil., Yale University, History of Science and Medicine
- M.A., University of Notre Dame, Philosophy of Science, 1976
- M.Th., University of Notre Dame, Theology, 1973
- B.A., Stonehill College, History, 1970
- Stonehill College Board of Incorporators
- Stonehill College Board of Fellows
- Stonehill College Institutional Review Board
- Stonehill College Career Advisory Committee
- Beaumont Medical Club, President (2006-2008)
- Association of University Programs in Healthcare Administration (AUPHA)
- American Association for the History of Medicine
- American Public Health Association
- AIDS & Emerging Infections
- Directed Study