- B.A., Swarthmore College
- M.A., Ph.D. in Comparative Literature, Brown University
- Named one of Princeton Review's "Best 300 Professors" in the US (2012)
- Robert and Margaret MacColl Johnson Fellowship in fiction writing, Rhode Island Foundation, 2006.
- Area Chair: Robert Flaherty, Film and History Conference: The Documentary Tradition, Dallas, TX (November, 2006).
- Nineteenth and twentieth-century British and Continental literature and art
- Theories of urban modernity
- Anthropology and ethnology
- Commodity culture
- Early cinema
- The historical avant-gardes
- Technology and visuality
- First-Year Seminar: Rites of Passage: Metamorphosis in Western Literature