This community encourages students to develop a health sense of self by practicing healthy behavior habits. Through programming, dialogue, and service, this special interest housing community will encourage students to practice proper nutrition, mental health awareness, relationship conflict resolution, healthy communication skills, stress and time management, physical fitness, and risk reduction of negative health behaviors.
Wellness Course Topics
- Introduction: Why should we learn about developing healthy habits?
- Nutrition 101: How to fuel our bodies
- Navigating the cafeteria and Eating out
- Cooking 101: How to prepare basic foods
- Body Image and Self Esteem: Discussion on the ideal body image
- Healthy vs Unhealthy Relationships: Learn the signs
- Romantic and Intimate Relationships: How to set boundaries and communicate your needs
- Healthy Communication Skills
- Stress Reduction and Time Management: Introduction
- Stress Reduction: Anxiety, Depression and Suicide Prevention
- Stress Reduction: Learn how to Meditate
- Physical Fitness: Introduction
- Physical Fitness: Intro to Yoga
- Risk Reduction: Avoiding Negative Health Behaviors including a discussion on Alcohol and Drugs
Wellness Housing Programming
Wellness community members will be encouraged to participate in programming unique to the community including hikes, yoga, meditation, and healthy cooking. Community members will also be encouraged to give back to the Stonehill community through participation in wellness events on campus such as Fresh Check Day and wellness fairs.
Wellness Housing is not substance free housing but wellness housing participants are expected to demonstrate healthy living through minimal consumption of alcohol and abstention from drug use.
Eligibility & Requirements
- This housing area will be available to sophomore - senior students.
- Students will be expected to participate in bi-weekly discussions and programs hosted within the area.
- Only students accepted into the area will be eligible to live in this community. Requested roommates or other friends not accepted into the community cannot be pulled into the community.
Application Process & Community Timeline
- Step 1: Applications: February 4, 2019 through March 4, 2019.
- Step 2: Final Decisions will be made and emailed the week of March 11, 2019.
- Step 3: Students offered admittance to the community will need to confirm by March 22, 2019.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When is the deadline to apply?
A: The deadline for students is March 4, 2019.
Q: Can students request each other as roommates?
A: Students can request to be roommates through MyHousing as long as all students involved have also applied for the wellness housing area.
Q: Do I need to apply with a roommate?
A: No. Students do not need to have a roommate in mind to enter this community. Students who do not have a roommate will be housed with a roommate chosen by the Residence Life Office.
Q: When will students find out if they have been accepted to the Wellness special interest housing area?
A: Students will find out the week of March 22, 2019