Minor Change or Declaration

The Minor

Minors, either disciplinary or interdisciplinary, may be closely related to a student's major, selected as an alternative field of specialization, or chosen simply for personal enrichment.

Generally, a minor is no more than six courses (normally about 18 credits) and ensures that a student pursues an area of study in some breadth and depth beyond the introductory level and outside of the major.

Starting with the Class of 2019, successful completion of a minor requires a final minor GPA of 2.00.

Double Minors

Students may declare up to two minors. This option must be requested by submitting a signed Major/Minor Declaration or Change Form prior to enrollment in the student's final semester. 

Invalid Minor & Major/Minor Combinations

No more than 50% of the credits required for a major may fulfill any other major or minor program requirements in which a student is enrolled, so some combinations of double majors are not allowed.  Academic Departments and Programs may also restrict certain major and/or minor combinations.

Check the following chart before submitting a Double Minor Application:

Invalid Minor & Major/Minor Combinations

The Interdisciplinary Minor

Interdisciplinary minors (formerly referred to as Interdisciplinary Concentrations) give students the opportunity to explore, in some depth, a well defined question or topic beyond the major requirements. Students interested in pursuing an Interdisciplinary minor should contact Prof. Peter Ubertaccio, the Director of the Martin Institute for details.

Procedure for Declaring or Changing a Minor

  1. Complete the Major/Minor Declaration or Change Form below
  2. Obtain the signature of the appropriate Department Chair or Minor Program Director.
  3. Sign the form and return it to the Registrar's Office, Duffy 112
  4. Note: You must fill out a Major/Minor Declaration or Change Form to drop a minor, but you are not required to obtain any signatures

Major/Minor Declaration or Change Form