Post-Graduate Service Programs
Many Stonehill students feel the call to serve others, and some choose to answer that call by participating in a full-time volunteer program after graduation. There are hundreds of volunteer programs available offering a wide range of positions, living situations, and locations.
Post graduate service organizations connect volunteers with communities in need while providing many practical and personal benefits.
- Room and board
- Health insurance
- Student loan deferment
- Resume building/work experience
- Ongoing training and development
- Education awards
- Opens doors to graduate school
- New friendships
- Insight into oneself and others
- Better understanding of the world
- Cultural education
- Work for social justice
- Develop leadership skills
- Awareness of making a difference in people's lives
During your year of service, you could work as a case worker in a social service agency, as a teacher in a school, as an activity director in a shelter, or in countless other communities and positions.
- What is my motivation for volunteering?
- Is this agency compatible with my ideals?
- Do I prefer international or domestic service?
- What type of work would I like to do, or learn?
- What type of living arrangement do I prefer?
- Do I want a faith based program or a secular service program?
- Are medical insurance and student loan deferment offered?
Participating in volunteer service while in college is vital to securing a position with a post graduate service organization. Service is inculturated into life at Stonehill and is central to the College's mission to create a more just and compassionate world.
There are many opportunities to engage in service while completing your undergraduate degree:
- Into the Streets, the College's volunteer program
- H.O.P.E. alternative spring break program
- Community-Based Learning courses
- Learning Communities
- Center for Nonprofit Management
- Student clubs and organizations
- Volunteer Match.org
A great place to begin your search for a post graduate service program is the search engine on the Catholic Volunteer Network website. Over 200 post graduate service agencies are listed here and this search tool allows you to narrow your options based on your preferences. Please note that although most of the programs referenced in this website are faith-based, meaning that they are rooted in a spiritual understanding of the call to service, they are open to people of all faiths.
Learn more about secular programs such as Peace Corps and Teach for America
Stonehill Service Corps
For information about Stonehill's post graduate service program, Stonehill Service Corps, with sites in the Dominican Republic, India, and Brockton, MA click here.
Reach Out to a Stonehill Alum
This document contains a listing of Stonehill alumni who are currently volunteering or have completed post graduate service. They are willing and eager to be contacted to discuss their experience with you! Alumni Contact List
Read alumni blogs and get inspired!
Questions to Consider
Medical coverage? Housing? Training? Click here for a comprehensive list of questions to ask of yourself and of the agencies that you are considering.