Student Health Insurance
Massachusetts requires all college students have health insurance. Students can enroll in the Stonehill College Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) or waive it by providing proof of comparable health insurance coverage.
Massachusetts Health Insurance Requirements
State law requires that full-time college students carry health insurance and annually provide proof of such insurance to the College. It is important to consider whether your current insurance plan will provide adequate coverage for a student while in college, or if purchasing the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is a better choice. Some students find that their insurance is inadequate due to restrictive provider networks, high deductibles, or limited coverage outside of a health plan service area. Some HMOs that require referrals may prevent students from receiving specialty care.
We suggest consulting your current insurance carrier as you consider the following:
- Does my current plan cover full-time students attending college away from home or out of state?
- Does my current plan provide adequate coverage for emergency services, diagnostic x-rays, laboratory services, mental health coverage, prescription drugs, and inpatient or outpatient hospitalization?
- Does my current plan have participating in-network health care providers in the Easton, MA area?
- Does my current plan have a high deductible that must be met before full coverage begins?
In addition, please be aware of the following points:
- Massachusetts law requires that all college students enroll in a health insurance program that meets required benefits established by the state.
- International students are required to purchase the Stonehill College Student Health Insurance Plan.
- Medicaid coverage from a state other than Massachusetts does not meet Massachusetts requirements.
- Per Massachusetts regulations, the following are not acceptable plans to waive the SHIP:
- Mass Health Limited Plan X
- Health Safety Net X
- Children’s Medical Security Plan X
Summary of Benefits
Please visit the Gallagher Student Health site, www.gallagherstudent.com/stonehill, for benefits information.
How to Enroll in SHIP
How to Waive SHIP
Please note that Stonehill College bills all students for the SHIP unless the online waiver process is completed. Please see this document for waiver instructions.
Before completing the waiver process, we encourage you to review the following document: Should I waive SHIP Health Insurance?