Associate Professor of English; Chairperson
B.A., Swarthmore College
M.A., Ph.D. in Comparative Literature, Brown University
Office: Cushing-Martin, 119
Nineteenth and twentieth-century British and Continental literature and art, theories of urban modernity, anthropology and ethnology, commodity culture, early cinema, the historical avant-gardes, technology and visuality.
- First-Year Seminar: Rites of Passage: Metamorphosis and Literature.
- Ruin and Rebegetting: British Fiction 1890-1930.
- Modern-isms: Literature and Visual Art of the Historical Avant-Gardes, 1860-1925.
- Radical Modernisms: Anarchism, Aesthetics and the Making of the Modern 1840-1916.
- Madness and Insight: Psychological Narratives Before and After Freud.
- Learning Community (with Prof. Daniel Itzkovitz): Freud and the Modern World.
- Acts of Criticism: Introduction to Critical Theory.
- Capstone Seminar: Nervous Systems: Paranoia in Modern and Postmodern Narrative.
- Capstone Seminar: Iconology: Studies in Word and Image.
- Creative Writing: Microfiction Workshop.
- Literature Cornerstone: Modernism and Its Others
- Literature Cornerstone: Love and Other Difficulties
Blogs & Links:
- The Panopticon Blog (http://nervoussystems.blogspot.com/)
This is a communal space for students in the Nervous Systems seminar to share ideas, raise questions about course materials, and post links to relevant websites.
- Modernism Blog (http://modbrit.blogspot.com/)
- Acts of Criticism Blog (http://litcult.blogspot.com/)
Named one of Princeton Review's "Best 300 Professors" in the US (2012)