Departmental Honors Program
Students who complete the Honors Program in Biology will be awarded a degree “with honors in Biology.” Departmental Honor Scholars must satisfy the following criteria:
- overall GPA of 3.5
- GPA of 3.2 in science courses (Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
- meet either of the following criteria on a national standardized achievement test in biology,
1) score within the top 10% of Stonehill students on the Major Field Test in Biology (MFT; Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ); or
2) score within the top 30% of students nationally who have taken either the MFT in Biology, or Graduate Record Examination either in Biology or in Biochemistry, Cell, and Molecular Biology (Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ)
- submit, and present orally, an acceptable (“B” or better) honors thesis, which is evaluated by a panel of three science faculty. Ordinarily this thesis will be based on a directed study, internship, SURE project, or other college-level research experience.