Creating a Private Folder in a Department File Share
Some items you may want to only share with a few specific users and not an entire department. This is accomplished by creating a private folder that you can grant access to specific users
1. In your specific Department File Share, right-click on an open area and select New from the menu that appears, and then select Folder from the sub-menu.
You can name the New folder according to your needs.
2. After the folder is created, right-click on the New folder and select Properties.
3. Select the Security tab from the top of the Properties window and click on the Advanced button near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Advanced Security Settings for New Folder window, select the Change Permissions... button.
5. Another Advanced Security Settings window will open. Uncheck the check box next to "Include Inheritable permissions from the objects parent."
5a. You will receive a Windows Security warning, click Remove when prompted.
6. Select Add to add a new user or group to your private folder.
7. Type "creator owner" into the object field then select the Check Names button. This will capitalize and underline what you entered for confirmation. Then, select the OK button.
Note: You are entering "creator owner" here because you are the one creating a private folder for yourself within the Department File Share.
8. The Permission Entry for New Folder window will open.
Select the access you would like to give to the user or group, if you are collaborating with the new user or group, Full Control is recommended.
Since you entered "creator owner" when creating the folder, you will want to give CREATOR OWNER the Full Control permission since this is a private folder you are creating for yourself.
After permissions are selected, please click OK.
Repeat steps 6-8 if you would like to grant other people (besides yourself) access to this new folder.
9. You will return to the permissions window showing the new user or group and the level of access they have been granted the the New folder.
Select Apply and then the OK button.
10. Select the OK button at the Advanced Security Settings window.
11. Select the OK button at the New folder Properties window.
12. The New folder you created within the Department File Share will only be accessible to you and anyone who you granted access to.