OWA (Advanced Topics)
Here is a discussion of the more advanced features of Outlook Web Application.
The calendar functionality in the new version of Outlook Web Application allows for a number of advanced functions. This is an overview of the basic OWA functionality. To access the calendars in OWA, choose "Calendar" in the lower left-hand menu.
This is the main calendar screen.
1. Current day/month. You can change the current month by clicking on the left and right arrows on either side of the current month. You can change the day by clicking on a specific date.
2. My Calendars. Lists your personal calendars.
3. People's Calendars. Lists any user calendars you have permission to view. Checking the box next to another calendar will open that calendar next to and of your personal calendars you have checked. If you have more than one calendar open, you can choose the active calendar by clicking on the calendar. You can close calendars by clicking on the "x" to the right of the calendar name.
4. New... Clicking the "New" button will open a "New Appointment" window, which allows you to create a new appointment. Clicking on the small down arrow next to "New" will allow you to create a new appointment, meeting, or message (email)
5. Delete. Choosing an appointment/meeting and clicking "Delete" will delete the appointment/meeting.
6. Calendar view buttons. You can choose between "day", "work week", "week", and "month" view for calendars.
7. Share... Clicking the "Share" button allows you to add another users calendar ("Add Calendar"), share any of your calendars ("Share Calendar"), or change the permissions of that users have to any of your calendars ("Change Sharing Permissions").
8. View. Allows you to turn the reading pane on or off.
9. Calendars. Shows any calendars that are active
10. Reading pane. Shows detailed information about any the current appointment or meeting that is highlighted.
The Conversations feature in the Outlook Web Application is a new way of looking at emails. Emails can be seen via a thread view, grouped by conversation on a particular subject. You can expand any one email and see the replies that pertain to that conversation.
Login to OWA and click on "VIEW" on the main toolbar on your INBOX. You will see the option Group by Conversations. Click on "Use Conversations."
You will see all conversations in a threaded view grouped by a given subject show up in the reading pane.
To see more options on how to group conversations, click on view
Alternatively, you can click on Options
Next, click on See All Options
To disable seeing email messages as threaded conversations,click on View and uncheck Use Conversation by clicking on it.
Another way to disable conversations is to clickon Arrange By and uncheck Conversation
The Delivery Reports functionality in the Outlook Web Application allows for monitoring of when messages were delivered, including date and time a message was submitted, and when it was successfully delivered.
The quickest way to view a delivery report is to right click on your message and choose "Delivery Report."
You will be able to see details of the email delivery as shown below.
Another way to see details of email delivery is by going to "Options" menu.
Next, see "All Options"
Then choose "Organize Emails" and "Delivery Reports"
Here you can select users to whom you have sent a message to, users sent to you by a particular user or by words in the subject line.
Let us suppose that you want to see all messages sent to a particular user, select Choose "Select Users", type in last name of user in the search box and press on the looking glass.
Choose the correct user by double clicking on the user from the list of users that shows up. Make sure Select field at the bottom of screen shows the user you have selected.
Press OK button at the bottom of screen.
Press looking glass on bottom right of screen to search for messages.
Search results may return one or more results. Highlight the email you want to read by clicking on it from list of search results. Doubleclick on the selected email message to read it.
The date and time of submission and delivery of the message is displayed on the screen
You can email this report to anyone you choose by clicking on "Email this report."
The Global Address List(GAL) is a directory service that provides you with contact details of individuals and groups within our college. The GAL earch feature in the Outlook Web Application provides a way of searching for particular individuals or groups.
Login to OWA and click on the icon that appears like an open book to the extreme right of the screen. Type in the last name of the individual you want to search in the box that has the text "Find Someone". If more than one match are found, they will be displayed as shown below. Double click on the name that you need to select and the contact's details open up in a new window.
icon helps you search for individuals and groups within the organization. Click on the magnifying glass to see a list of all individuals and groups within the organization.
Clicking on Contact's name opens up a box for composing a new email to the contact.
Meeting Request is a tool that allows you to setup a meeting and invite attendees. If you create the meeting request, you will receive notifications if people have accepted, declined or proposed a new time for the meeting.
To enter a new meeting request, click the arrow next to "New" on the toolbar and select "Meeting Request".
Fill in the information such as To...to get the email address of people you want to invite. Type in Subject and Location. Leave the Optional and Resources buttons empty. Fill in Subject, location, start/end time/date and pick a time for your reminder. Click "Send" when you are done. An email message will be sent to the people you have invited.
You can check the availability of people you are inviting to a meeting by using the "Scheduling Assistant". This assistant will show you "Free/Busy" time for the people you are inviting according to the entries they have made in their calendar. There is a Suggested Times box on the right side that will let you know when people/resources are free on a certain date and time. To select more than one attendee, click on "Add a name" button to select a name from the Global Address List (GAL).
If you see a purple bar across a time frame as in the case of the second invitee between 3:30p.m and 4p.m, it shows that the person is unavailable/busy at that time. Everyone can see everyone else's availability, which allows for easy scheduling of meetings. The green and red vertical lines indicate the time period requested for the meetin. You can move the lines by clicking on a different time period on the calendar.