The Value of an Internship
April 08, 2010
Even before the current economic downturn, internships were growing in importance for college students. Today, internships provide a critical advantage in a tight job market or on an application to a competitive graduate school.
"We know that students with internship experience as well as those with multiple internships on their resume field more interviews than those without that experience. Also many students receive job offers from their internship site," says Director of Career Service Heather Heerman '96.
"Students are getting valuable, practical experience at their internships, which allows them to explore a certain field or industry, develop their skills and make key networking connections," adds Heerman.
Leading the College's Career Services Office since 2004, Heerman has four tips for students wanting to land a great internship:
- Define your goals: Examine your own skills and interests and ask, how do they fit into certain fields or industries?
- Research and explore those fields for internship opportunities. (Use Career Connection and other job search engines for possibilities).
- Apply for multiple internships: Network with faculty, family, friends, and alumni to give yourself the best chance of landing the internship.
- Above all, take advantage of the Career Services Office, whose professional staff members are there to work with you as you explore these options.
Stonehill students have many options for gaining domestic and international internship experiences. Whether they intern locally or do semester-long internships in Dublin, Paris, London, Madrid, New York, Washington, D.C. or Los Angeles (new this fall), the experience and contacts they make are invaluable.
Here are just some of the locations where Stonehill students have interned recently:
- Citi Performing Arts Center, Boston
- Attorney General's Office, Boston
- Reebok International, Boston
- US Marshals Service, Washington, D.C.
- The White House, Washington, D.C.
- Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- Rachel Ray Show, New York
- Stella McCartney Public Relations, New York
- Permal Asset Management, New York
- Ministry of the Environment, Ireland
- Tower of London, Europe
- Dept. of Foreign Affairs, Dublin
- Glamour Magazine, Madrid
For more on Career Services at Stonehill, visit here.
For more information, contact Communications and Media Relations at 508-565-1321.