The Office of Community-Based Learning announces its first Summer Institute
Apply Now to Participate in the OCBL’s Summer Institute!
June 5th & 6th
What is the Summer Institute?
The Office of Community-Based Learning (OCBL)’s Summer Institute gives faculty an opportunity to team up with a community partner and student leader, and work closely with OCBL staff to design a new CBL course or revamp an already existing CBL course.
Logistics & Schedule
The Institute will take place June 5 & 6. It is a full two days, consisting of a tour of Brockton, team building exercises, some nuts and bolts presentations on CBL, and ample time to create projects/syllabi in team groups and then workshop ideas in larger groups.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal faculty applicant will have an idea of how a CBL component might be integrated into the course content and learning outcomes, and will already have a community partner and student leader selected or in mind. The lack of a community partner or student leader does not disqualify any applicant as we will work with you to identify an appropriate partner and leader once we receive applications.
Faculty Expectations & Additional Information
- Selection for the Institute will include the title of CBL Faculty Fellow and a modest stipend of $1000—half of which will be available in the Fall and the other half for the semester that the course runs
- Faculty will be expected to teach the course at some point in the next three semesters.
- Student Leaders will receive a $500 stipend and community partners will receive either a stipend or in-kind donation
- Students will receive room and board for the time of the Institute and will be expected to provide continual leadership for the course
- If you wish to work on an LC at the institute you are more than welcome to! One or both faculty may team up to do so
Please fill out the brief CBL Summer Institute Application and return to the OCBL Office by Monday April 2nd. Applications are reviewed by the Office of Community-Based Learning and applicants will be notified of the final decisions by email by mid-April.
Please contact Corey Dolgon, firstname.lastname@example.org or X1904