Why a Skyhawk?
The nickname of Skyhawks refers to an airfield built on the Ames estate on which property the College currently sits upon.
In the late 1920's, the great-grandson of Oliver Ames, Frederick Lothrop Ames, Jr. (Freddy) acquired a passion for aviation and had an airfield built on their property. The Ames Flying Field was one of three fields in Easton and recognized by the Federal Aeronautics Administration (FAA).
The flying field included two runways, an office and a hangar building. The two runways were located on the land next to what is now Holy Cross Center, and remnants of the tie-downs can still be found in the ground today.
The first plane to land on the Ames Flying Field was the Curtiss JN-4, "Jenny," used during World War I. Freddy used the field for flying to and from Boston.
On November 6, 1932, he was killed when his plane lost control in Randolph, MA. Both the Navy, which at the time flew the aircraft A4D Skyhawk that played an integral role during World War II, and private companies continued to have access to the Ames Flying Field until 1955 when it was closed and became property of Stonehill College.
The logo, which depicts a mythical bird of flight dressed in classic attire of pilots of early aircraft, embodies the school colors of purple and white, as the hawk itself sports a scarf and goggles that were worn by "Skyhawk" pilots. The "S" in the word Stonehill is depicted in an "aviators" font, while the "O" in the name is in the shape of a propeller. The word mark of "Stonehill Skyhawks" will also be used in various forms in addition to word mark representations for all 20 varsity athletic programs.
The formal dedication of the Skyhawk and the unveiling of the new mascot, "Ace" was Saturday, September 10, 2005 in conjunction with the dedication of W.B. Mason Stadium prior to kickoff of the Stonehill-Pace football game. A game Stonehill won, 17-10.
For more information, please visit http://www.stonehillskyhawks.com