Licensure Program: Early Childhood Education
The Department of Education Studies offers a major in Education Studies, with a concentration in early childhood, leading to initial licensure from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (Early Childhood: Teacher of Students with and without Disabilities, PreK-2).
Required Education Courses: Early Childhood
- ED 104 Early Care & Education
- ED 202 Reading: Theory & Instruction
- ED 210 Children in the Preschool & Kindergarten
- ED 213 Inclusive Learning in Early Education
- ED 220 Children’s Literature
- ED 301 Assessment & Analysis in Education (fulfills Gen. Ed. Statistical Reasoning)
- ED 306 Speech & Language Development
- ED 312 Art, Music, & Movement for Young Children
Liberal Arts/Sciences Strand
Liberal Arts/Science Major
In addition to education coursework, early childhood majors must complete a liberal arts/science major from the following list: American Studies, Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Economics, English, Environmental Studies, Fine Arts, Foreign Language (combined, French, or Spanish), Gender Studies, History, International Studies, Mathematics, Multidisciplinary Studies, Neuroscience, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Religious Studies, and Sociology.