Graduate School Information
On average, over 35% of Stonehill students are enrolled in either full or part-time graduate programs one year after graduation. Deciding to seek a graduate degree is a major commitment of time and money – an undertaking which deserves serious consideration. Before deciding your next step, you should take the time to analyze your options.
The Office of Career Services provides general information and advice to students on graduate school, and maintains a resource library with graduate school guides and admissions test study guides. Additionally, we strongly encourage you to talk with faculty, advisors, graduate students, and individuals working in your field of interest.
Questions to Consider
- Why are you considering a graduate degree?
- When should you consider obtaining a graduate degree?
- What is the best graduate degree for you?
- What is the best graduate school/program for you?
- How will you finance graduate school?
Typical Graduate School Requirements
- Application Form and Resume – make sure to file complete and timely documents
- Graduate Admission Tests – check which exam is required for your program
- Official Transcripts – contact the Registrar’s Office for transcript requests
- Letters of Recommendation – ask professors and work supervisors early
- Personal Essay or Statement – write a well-organized and high-quality product
Some Criteria for Choosing a Graduate Program
- Accreditation – review both the institution and the specific program
- Career Assistance – examine the amount of career development and placement services
- Cost/Financial Aid – review costs and types of financial assistance available to you
- Culture – identify schools that fit your style and comfort-level
- Degrees Offered – be clear about the credentials you need for the your next career step
- Faculty – identify key researchers in your field and look at programs in which they teach
- Reputation/Ranking – review the overall school and the specific program of interest
- Size – look at the size of the program and the size of the entire university
Graduate School Information:
Graduate School Directories:
http://www.allaboutgradschool.com/ – Comprehensive geographic directory of schools in the U.S. focusing on business, engineering, law and medical schools
http://www.gradschools.com/ – Online directory of graduate/post-graduate programs worldwide
http://www.graduateguide.com/ – Online directory of graduate programs in the USA & Canada.
Graduate School Comparators & Degree-Specific Sites:
http://mastersineducationguide.com/ - Masters in Education guide, employment links
Please stop by Career Services to obtain a copy of our Graduate School Guide.