Chronology of Stonehill College
Rev. James Francis Dujarie (1767-1838) establishes the Brothers of St. Joseph at Rouille-sur-Loire in the diocese of Le Mans in northwestern France (Legally authorized by Louis XVIII on June 23, 1823).
Rev. Basil Anthony Mary Moreau (1799-1873) establishes the Auxiliary of Le Mans at Le Mans.
Fr. Moreau brings together the Brothers of St. Joseph and the Auxiliary Priests to form the Association of Holy Cross at Sainte-Croix, a suburb of Le Mans. (Formally approved by Pope Pius IX on May 13, 1857, thereby becoming known as the Congregation of Holy Cross (“Congregatio a Sancta Cruce”).
Rev. Edward J. Sorin (1814-1893) and six Brothers of the Holy Cross migrate from Sainte-Croix, France to the Indiana frontier in the United States
Fr. Sorin founds the University of Notre Dame.
Fr. Sorin founds the University of St. Edward (now known as St. Edward's University) in Austin, Texas.
The Congregation staffs the University of Portland in Portland, Oregon.
Stone-House-Hill house is built by Frederick Lothrop Ames in North Easton, Massachusetts.
The Fathers of Holy Cross arrive in North Dartmouth, coming from the University of Notre Dame, and establish the Seminary of Our Lady of Holy Cross.
The Foundation of Our Lady of Holy Cross is incorporated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, on August 13.
The Seminary is moved from North Dartmouth to North Easton’s Stone-House-Hill on 350 acres purchased on October 17 from Mrs. Edith C. Cutler, widow of Frederick Lothrop Ames. The Seminary is housed in the Ames Mansion (“Stone-House-Hill House”). Included in the purchase is a nearby gymnasium housing a swimming pool and tennis court.
An additional 190 acres are purchased from Mrs. Cutler.
The Congregation founds The College of Christ the King, popularly known as King's College in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.
STONEHILL COLLEGE is founded on June 30. Rev. George P. Benaglia, C.S.C., is appointed as first president. First students, 134 men, enroll on September 20th. Tuition: $420 for the year.
REV. FRANCIS J. BOLAND, C.S.C., is appointed as second president. Science Building opens, later named (David M.) TRACY SCIENCE BUILDING (1978).
Summer School begins.
Evening School Adult Education program opens with 352 students. Pius X Seminary opens on Route 138, later to become the HOLY CROSS FATHERS RETREAT HOUSE (1963). Stonehill becomes coeducational, enrolling 19 women.
First College Commencement (64 men.)
Second College Commencement is held outdoors under a green and white tent, beginning a tradition. Dedication of Lourdes Grotto and Shrine.
REV. JAMES J. SHEEHAN, C.S.C., is appointed as third president. Campus airport, originally on the Ames property, is closed.
HOLY CROSS HALL opens as first classroom building on lower campus. Student excavations on lower campus lead to discovery of relics from the Colonial days of King Phillip, Chief of the Wampanoag Indians. Some artifacts at the same site are dated back to the Stone Bowl Occupation (1500 B.C. to 500 A.D.)
REV. RICHARD H. SULLIVAN, C.S.C., is appointed as fourth president.
Stonehill College receives accreditation. HOLY CROSS FATHERS SEMINARY opens on Route 138. STUDENT UNION opens.
Former Pius X Seminary serves as dormitory for 35 men.
(Cardinal John) O’HARA HALL opens as men’s residence.
(Richard J. Cardinal) CUSHING – (Joseph W.) MARTIN LIBRARY opens. (Basil Anthony) MOREAU HALL opens as residence for the Brothers of Holy Cross.
South Wing and (Phillip L.) HEMINGWAY AUDITORIUM are added to the HOLY CROSS HALL. The Ames Mansion becomes known as (Rev. James W.) DONAHUE HALL.
REV. JOHN T. CORR, C.S.C., is appointed as fifth president.
(Rev. Francis J.) BOLAND HALL opens as a women’s residence.
Fourteen Towne Houses open as residences in Commonwealth Court.
North Wing is added to HOLY CROSS HALL. The building is named (Rev. Thomas C.) DUFFY ACADEMIC CENTER. Fourteen Towne houses open in Colonial Court.
Evening Division credit-granting program opens. Six additional Towne Houses open in Commonwealth Court. Stonehill College Coffee House (BROTHER MIKE’S”) opens.
REV. ERNEST J. BARTELL, C.S.C, is appointed as sixth president. Six additional Towne Houses open in Colonial Court.
Legal authority and control of the College is transferred to a predominantly lay Board of Trustees (2/24/72). Stonehill becomes incorporated as Stonehill College, Inc., instead of the Foundation of Our Lady of Holy Cross.
COLLEGE CENTER opens. Hemingway Auditorium is remodeled and expanded, to become HEMINGWAY THEATRE. Intramural Gymnasium is renovated, to become (Charles) WATT INTRAMURAL GYMNASIUM.
Holy Cross Seminary is leased from the Congregation for residence space. It is renamed HOLY CROSS CENTER. CONNERTON HOUSE is named.
(Anthony E.) CASCINO WING of the Library opens.
Mr. C. JAMES CLEARY is appointed as interim president.
REV. BARTLEY MACPHÁIDÍN, C.S.C., is appointed as eighth president. ST. MARY’S CHAPEL AND HUMAN RESOURCES CENTER building opens. THE BARN becomes a residence for Holy Cross Fathers.
DAVID AMES CLOCK FARM is obtained.
(James A.) MERKERT WING of Science Building opens. The building is named MERKERT-TRACY SCIENCE CENTER. MOREAU HALL is sold to the Town of Easton. HAFSTROM-SWANSON HOUSE (“Twin Cottages”) is purchased as home for the President of the College.
(Rev. Richard H.) SULLIVAN HALL opens as residence. (Rev. William P.) EVANS HOUSE opens as residence for priests.
MARY JOAN GLYNN INSTITUTE OF IRISH STUDIES opens.
The EDUCATION BUILDING opens.
(Anthony and Lorraine) CASCINO HALL opens as residence.
(John W.) STANGER HALL opens as Computer Center.
(Rev. George P.) BENAGLIA HALL opens as residence.
SALLY BLAIR AMES SPORTS COMPLEX opens. (Donald and Beverly) FLYNN HALL opens as residence.
JOSEPH W. MARTIN, JR. INSTITUTE opens. A new dining room opens at the Holy Cross Fathers’ Residences.
NEW HALL opens as residence hall. The (Charles) WATT INTRAMURAL GYMNASIUM becomes known as ALUMNI HALL.
DINING COMMONS opens as new dining hall.
(Rev. James J.) SHEEHAN HALL opens as residence. Two new residences for priests open at Holy Cross Center.
THE CHAPEL OF OUR LADY OF HOLY CROSS opens at Holy Cross Fathers’ Residences.
NOTRE DAME DU LAC opens as residence hall. Colonial Court Towne Houses are renovated. THE CENTER FOR SOCIAL CONCERN on Belmont Street is purchased. New Hall Residence Hall is named VILLA THERESA for St. Theresa of Avila, 1515-1582, Spanish nun and mystic, reformer of the Carmelite Order, Doctor of the Church; St. Therese of Lisieux, 1873-1897, French Carmelite nun, Doctor of the Church; Blessed Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, born Edith Stein, 1891-1942, philosopher, Jewish convert to Catholicism, Carmelite nun, born in Breslan, Poland, killed at Auschwitz in August, 1942; Mother Teresa, 1910-1997, Albanian-born, Indian nun, foundress of the Congregation of the Missionaries of Charity.
The (Rev. Bartley) MACPHÁIDÍN LIBRARY opens. Commonwealth Court Towne Houses are renovated.
The (Rev. Mark T.) CREGAN, C.S.C., is appointed as ninth president. The Dining Commons is renamed THE ROCHE DINING COMMONS.
The Cushing-Martin Library is renovated and opens as CUSHING-MARTIN HALL, academic building and home of the STONEHILL INDUSTRIAL HISTORY CENTER. The KRUSE CENTER FOR ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL EXCELLENCE is dedicated. Brother Mike's closes and THE HILL opens in the Dining Commons. NEW HALL opens as a residence hall. GENERAL EDUCATION program revised and renamed the CORNERSTONE PROGRAM which integrated required courses with students' majors and lives.
NEW HALL dedicated as (Rev. John T.) CORR HALL.
Athletic Identify changed from Chieftains to Skyhawks (July 1, 2005). New stadium completed and dedicated W.B. MASON STADIUM, September 10, 2005.
20,000th diploma awarded. Roadway altered to accommodate new building projects.
Construction begins on new Science Building. Fr. Basil Moreau beatified on September 15, 2007.
Thomas F. and Mary J. Sheilds Science Center Opens. Construction begins on new residence hall.